Head of Financial Crimes & Risk
As the Financial Crimes & Risk Lead, you will oversee the strategy and development of TBD’s financial crimes and risk programs. You will design world class financial crimes and fraud detection, monitoring, and reporting controls and processes to mitigate any existing or emerging risks for TBD. You will also work in collaboration with partners across Product, Engineering and Operations to help design new products and services.
Risk & Compliance provides essential foundational support to the business to ensure financial and digital innovation in a compliant way. You will promote responsible innovation and accelerate the development of TBDs Risk & Compliance program for the approaching product launches.
We have intentionally combined our Financial Crimes and Risk programs to gain efficiencies and create a comprehensive understanding of the customer risk from all perspectives. You will create a program around this objective and lead the design of automated systems that identify and prevent unusual activity to protect our customers and the broader Block ecosystem.You will report to the Head of TBD Compliance.
- Develop TBD’s strategy for Risk to include AML, financial crimes, fraud, financial, and operational risk to underwrite the development of future products and services for TBD.
- Create risk strategies, guidelines, performance metrics, and monitoring mechanisms that can identify and prevent possible vulnerabilities and abuses across all future TBD products.
- Collaborate with Legal, Operations, Engineering, Product, and other Block team members to deliver measurable results while minimizing the TBD's exposure to all applicable risk categories including AML, financial crime, fraud, financial and operational risks.
- Hire and manage a team of risk analysts and investigators
- Design fraud risk, transaction monitoring, investigation and suspicious activity detection and reporting systems and framework making sure we maintain the highest standards for regulatory requirements while prioritizing efficiency and automation.
- Work with the foundational Compliance Engineering & Tools team to design analytical methodologies and monitoring scenarios for AML and financial crimes risk mitigation.
- Work with TBD’s Risk Engineering team to influence the development of TBD’s risk tools and methodologies, with a goal to offer world class institutional risk mitigation services to participants on tbDEX.
- Identify where vendor data or tools are necessary to expand our internal capabilities or improve the customer experience, and develop formal relationships with these vendors.
- 10+ years of experience in anti-money laundering and financial crimes roles
- BSA/AML Compliance expertise gained through the ability to interpret financial regulations and design and implement appropriate compliance controls
- Experience with blockchain technology, decentralized ecosystems, and regulated cryptocurrency products and services
- Prior experience working for a regulated blockchain or digital currency company
- Prior experience with fraud risk methodologies, systems and technologies
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to influence across an organization
- Outstanding relationship management, communication, teamwork, and influencing skills
- Experience working in a startup environment is a plus
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone C: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone D: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.