Software Engineer, Square Staff
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square Staff represents a suite of labor management, payroll and communications tools that allow sellers and their teams to excel together. You will report to the engineering lead and be focused on building and expanding our product suite to solve more seller needs related to time tracking management, tips, wages, and commissions. You will help in brainstorming, design and implementation of seller facing features and help improve our partner integration infrastructure. You will work with other engineers, designers, product managers and other teams to move quickly towards delivering and scaling a remarkable product for small business owners. You will help us identify and deliver the plans, features and products that for our existing and potential customers. Square Staff helps give our sellers the peace of mind that their business is running smoothly, even if they're not physically present.
To learn more about the Square Staff products: https://squareup.com/us/en/staff
- Develop, and test scalable client software complex server, network, and hardware interactions.
- Design high availability, resilient systems which can operate no matter the network or device conditions.
- Lead complex projects, often across team boundaries.
- Foster a culture with team members distributed across several locations.
- Collaborate with colleagues across engineering, product, design, and operations to provide end-to-end solutions.
- Capture and analyze metrics to lead informed decisions.
- Participate in the full lifecycle of product development, from early definition to planning through release and beyond.
- 5+ years of experience developing production software
- 5+ years of experience building and working with APIs to deliver product features
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science or Equivalent experience in lieu of degree
- Experience leading or contributing to medium-to-large feature releases;
- Natural curiosity and desire to build products our merchants depend on.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Backend: Kotlin, Ruby on Rails, Java
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.