Product Designer, Bitcoin Mining
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. We believe bitcoin plays an essential role in the future of payments and the world’s economy. We believe that the status quo of bitcoin mining does not serve the mission of the bitcoin ecosystem. So we’re building a bitcoin mining rig powered by a Block designed ASIC. With our mining rig, we can address many issues such as the concentration of hardware supply in certain countries and incompatibility with clean energy sources.
We’re hiring a Product Designer to join our global team. As our first product designer, you’ll deliver intuitive and easy-to-use experiences that help us make bitcoin and mining related software understandable and accessible to users.
We’re a startup building new products and an entirely new brand (yet-to-be named!) within an established larger tech company. So you’ll have the autonomy and speed of working in a small team, with the support and resources of the Block ecosystem. You’ll be connected to the wider design community from other parts of the company — Square, Cash App, Spiral, and Tidal — so you’ll have a chance to lean on experienced designers as sounding boards, without losing the ability to move quickly and have autonomy.
- Work in a small, multi-disciplinary team to design & deliver innovative end-to-end experiences from concept to production (includes helping to set the product vision, exploring design solutions, prototyping, supporting implementation).
- Develop and manage our early-stage design system
- Focus on real customer problems by using user research insights and customer feedback to identify opportunities, working as a thought partner to product managers.
- 6+ years of product design experience or related/equivalent experience
- Experience designing enterprise level software as a service products
- A strong visual portfolio showcasing previous work
- Ability to communicate design concepts through sketches and wireframes
- Experience with Figma, Sketch, and/or other design tools
- Experience with prototyping tools
- Understanding of design principles and knowledge of different platforms
- Experience building design systems
- Knows how to communicate ideas to a large range of stakeholders
- Loves working in a team, but can also work independently
- A strong design executor who is excels at simplifying complex problems by building empathy — you always start with the customer and their problems, and you design with the target audience in mind
- A self-starter who thrives in an autonomous environment — you're comfortable in an unestablished environment and thrive in "zero to one" situations where you are able to shape and drive a product's design direction with minimal guidance.
- Experienced in designing both streamlined web and desktop experiences as well as well-crafted mobile apps across both enterprise and consumer applications — you have a proven track record of creating visually appealing designs for software applications, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable experience for users across diverse demographics and regions.
This role can be based anywhere remotely in the US, UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Germany, among other countries. And if you prefer an office environment, we have team-members working in offices in New York, and London, as well as offices in other cities including St. Louis, Atlanta, Philadelphia and other locations.
This is a unique opportunity to reinvent user experiences within a critical part of the bitcoin ecosystem. You can learn more about what we’re building through our newsletter here.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.