Graphic Designer, Square Japan
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We are looking for a bilingual Graphic Designer to join our creative team in Japan, reporting to the Creative Director. You will collaborate with multiple partners across design, copywriting, production and product marketing to guide our business, brand and company mission forward. In this hands-on role, you'll have tremendous opportunity to influence one of the fastest growing financial products in the world. You will be at the heart of co-creating on-strategy ideas and bringing them to life by working across the latest platforms, covering web and mobile experiences, visual design, experiential installations, photography, video, and animation.
You’re conceptual, strategic, can share and sell your ideas, and encourage others to share theirs. You sweat the smallest details, understand what it takes to develop great creative work, excel in cross-discipline collaboration, and have a passion for inspiring team members. You have a strong sense of cultural literacy and understand industry trends in today's creative landscape— including how users engage with content, and trends within marketing.
- Lead the internal creative process in partnership with our Creative Director, supporting the creative needs of editorial, content, and social marketing teams.
- Champion brand standards and design systems across different media and marketing channels.
- Develop beautiful, thoughtful, and engaging visual treatments and campaign identities for our global brand marketing programs.
- Create video and motion graphics style frames, exhibition graphics, print collateral, presentation designs, information graphics, branding and digital advertisements.
- Conduct independent creative research to inform design ideas.
- Provide constructive feedback to design and writing peers on the team.
- Work with partners across Square to guarantee an integrated brand experience.
- Collaborate on projects to create concepts, mood-boards, graphic elements, identities, and visual treatments.
- A portfolio of design work in both English and Japanese.
- Bilingual (English/Japanese) with an equivalent N1 Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) level.
- 3+ years of design experience across either agency, freelance or personal projects.
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite and Figma.
- A portfolio of relevant design work across different mediums, including photography, illustration, and motion graphics.
- A strong understanding of typography, composition, color, layout, design thinking, and content strategy, with the ability to build different brands.
Please submit a deck or portfolio of work with your application that showcases your design process from exploratory stages through execution. If your portfolio site requires a password, please provide us with it in your application or on your resume. Thank you!
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.