Sr. Software Engineer, Regulator
Block has grown into a platform of product services that help merchants run their business. From the inside, these product services are organized into business units with their own product and engineering teams. Underneath, there’s a platform organization that supports this plethora of products.
Our team, Regulator, is part of this larger platform organization. We work with product teams to ensure their data is available by our federated GraphQL platform. Today, this data is used for internal operations for operational workflows, such as Case Management, Search, and customizable views into Block’s business entities. We partner with established product teams to securely publish their data, and with new product teams as they build that data into new offerings.
As one of the newest platforms at Block, we are constantly growing and evolving as we add new features to meet the demands of different requirements throughout all products. We are working on replacing legacy monolithic code with modular components that communicate directly with our GraphQL gateway.
- Help design, develop, and deploy incremental improvements to our GraphQL platform (Rust, Kotlin) and support internal services connected to the platform (Go-lang, TypeScript/Nodejs, Ruby).
- Assist product engineers from other teams to add data to our platform
- Develop the performance of front-end components (React)
- Assist product engineers from other teams to consume data from our platform
- Contribute to the monitoring, stability, and security of our existing services
- Communicate technical designs in writing and in person to technical and non-technical audiences
- Understand our partners needs and assist turning their requests into scalable features
- Experienced, with 5+ years delivering several types of projects at scale. You're accomplished at determining what's needed and have good tools for how to get there.
- Fluent in Kotlin, Go or a similar programming language. You want to work across languages, technologies, and frameworks – advocating to use the best tool for the job.
- Engineers look to you for inspiration and guidance, and you excel at helping those around you reach your expertise and beyond.
- A data-informed decision maker – using this to navigate often conflicting needs of several partners
- Payments, Risk, Compliance, Operations or Workflow Management development experience
- Developed and iterated on enterprise products
- Experience working with remote teams
- Have built, managed, or worked on platform-level codebases supporting over 100 engineers
Technologies you will use:
- Kotlin, Go-lang, Ruby
- Elasticsearch, Redis, MySQL/Aurora, Snowflake
- gRPC, REST, GraphQL
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.