Staff Software Engineer - Databases
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers!
We provide a set of fully managed databases as a platform, used to persist data for all of Cash App. Our platform, running on AWS, automates operating a constantly growing number of databases and database systems like DynamoDB, AWS Aurora, and Elasticache. We are responsible for a wide variety of data and access patterns, ranging from mission-critical payment data to high volume user event and sensor data, requiring us to gain deep expertise in a variety of database systems.
Our teams are remote first and globally distributed. You will have high levels of autonomy and curiosity.
As a member of the Cloud Database engineering team, you’ll collaborate with our stakeholders —including product engineers— to:
- Design, build, and own infrastructure projects that provide critical support for operating database systems at scale.
- Build the platform that provides self-serve provisioning, scaling, and management of database systems like DynamoDB, AWS Aurora, ElastiCache and S3.
- Build and operate continuous integration and testing for our platform.
- Spread database best-practices across the organization, while mentoring and inspiring fellow engineers.
You’ll also have the chance to explore and contribute to bleeding edge open source technologies that will form the future of Cash App’s cloud storage platform.
You are a self-motivated, curious engineer who wants to work with stateful distributed systems at scale. Automating chores is second nature. An afternoon spent tracking down an obscure kernel bug is your idea of a good time. You can jump up and down the cloud platform stack at will. The fact that you’ll be jumping head first into a massive, distributed cloud platform excites you.
- A curiosity for highly available systems at scale
- Technical initiative and a desire to make those around you better
- Experience with incident response, including disaster recovery
- Proficient in Go or a mainstream scripting language
- At least one of:
- Experience operating Data Storage at scale with one or more of the following databases: MySQL, DynamoDB, Amazon RDS, and TiDB
- Proficient with container orchestration technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
Technologies we use and teach:
MySQL, DynamoDB, Aurora, Elasticache, S3, Amazon RDS, AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, Go, and Kotlin. We don’t expect candidates to have experience in all of these technologies.
Cash App spends much of its time using these tools, but we’re committed to working on the right tech for the job. As a senior member of the team, we look forward to having your expertise guide us into the future.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.