Staff Software Engineer (Backend), Invoices
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square Invoices is the easiest way for merchants to close sales and collect payments remotely. Our customers rely on our products because they are well-designed, easy to use, and integrated with their business. We are a full-stack product oriented team, spanning across engineering, design, product, data science, and marketing. You'll implement management’s roadmap and strategy decisions and will play a critical role in helping the team accomplish our industry-leading growth goals.
Our team is focused, fast-moving, and rapidly growing with an abundance of growth and impact opportunities. We focus on building the best tools to help our merchants close sales and get paid quickly, anywhere, at any time. At the same time, we are doing this in an efficient and scalable way, making smart choices about how to automate critical functions for our merchants.
As a Tech Lead on the Invoices team, you will lead the Platform pod in the Core Payments team within the broader Invoices organization.
- Oversee a critical squad for our core Invoicing business, provide technical guidance and direction to the platform squad, ensuring alignment with overall platform strategy and best practices
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of complex software systems and migrations (often crossing organizational boundaries)
- Actively contribute to the codebase as an individual contributor, ensuring high-quality software and efficient development processes
- Participate in code and design reviews, providing constructive feedback and ensuring high-quality deliverables
- Develop and maintain project plans, including resource allocation, and timelines.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders to manage dependencies, ensuring timely delivery of projects
- Communicate progress, risks, and issues to stakeholders and senior management, providing recommendations for mitigation and resolution
- Mentor and support the professional development of sub-team members, fostering a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Drive innovation and identify opportunities for process improvements and new technologies to enhance the platform's capabilities
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with internal and external partners, promoting collaboration and effective communication
- Act as a technical point of contact for the sub-team, addressing any questions, concerns or challenges that may arise
- 8+ years of experience in software development, with at least 3 years in a technical leadership role
- Strong technical execution skills with a proven record of leading large multi-year projects to success
- Strong understanding of software architecture, design patterns, and best practices including software development methodologies, such as Agile, and Scrum
- Experience with cloud-based technologies and platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud. We use AWS
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and manage relationships with internal and external partners
- Strong at dependency management.
- Able to work with large amounts of stakeholders and navigate organizational complexity
- Experience holding stakeholder teams accountable and pushing them as needed to drive deliverables forward
- Able to thrive in a bottoms up environment. Self starter who does not need a lot of direction
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to plan, organize, and prioritize tasks for successful delivery of a project
- Experience in mentoring and developing the skills of junior team members
- Bonus: Prior experience with people management; developing individuals, performance management and hiring
Technologies we use and teach:
- Ruby / Rails backend service
- MySQL database
- Redis for job queue + caching
- Elasticsearch for real-time search + analytics
- Web client (EmberJS)
- Buyer payment page (EmberJS)
- Native iOS (Swift/Objective-C) + Android (Kotlin/Java) clients
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.