Manufacturing Test Engineer
Square’s Hardware Team builds the tangible connection to Square. We started with a simple and elegant Reader that turns any phone or tablet into a mobile point of sale - and we continue to lead this category with advances in chip card and NFC technology. As we introduce more products, we will meet the needs of more and more sellers with stand-out hardware products, globally. Our hardware engineers are responsible for designing and developing world class hardware products. They understand the subtleties of user interaction, robust communication interfaces, and smart product design.
The Manufacturing Test Engineering team at Square makes sure that the millions of hardware devices leaving our factories are built according to design and meet (or exceed) customer expectations. We’re a diverse group of engineers that use our unique backgrounds to solve challenging problems in our factories. We dabble in electrical engineering, software, mechanicals and data analysis to understand the design intent of our products and understand how we can translate it to scalable test plans. We are Jacks and Jills of all trades, and we excel at having a deep systems-level understanding of Square’s hardware products.
- Design, build and support board-level and product-level functional testers running in Square’s factories around the world.
- Write and debug test station software.
- Understand the meaning of the measurements our test stations are taking, and feed analysis of these measurements back to our hardware design teams.
- Become intimately familiar with Square's hardware products and manufacturing processes.
- Research technologies for our next-generation hardware products.
- Develop test plans and test-setup prototypes for new technologies.
- Work with Square’s Electrical Engineering group to ensure our products’ circuits are designed for testability.
- Work with Square’s Devices Software Engineering group to specify requirements for embedded test access and APIs.
- Reach beyond the boundaries of Manufacturing Test to make Square’s products better wherever you see the chance.
- Experienced working in a technical field for 2-5 years.
- Conversant in Python, MATLAB, Labview, or similar programming language
- Knowledgeable in statistics. Experience using SQL, JMP, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization program
- Knowledgeable in circuit design at the “maker” level or beyond (e.g. projects like LED controllers, home automation, weather stations, etc.)
- Excited to work on hands-on projects and to make things work in EE, software, and/or ME realms.
- Experienced with hardware lab equipment for test, measurement (e.g. oscilloscope, power supply, DMM), and/or prototyping (Raspberry Pi, Arduino, 3D printing, powertools, etc.)
- Enthusiastic to apply engineering skills to dig into challenges that are outside of your expertise.
- Collaborative: Can work as a team, ask questions, and share information. Have the desire to help partner teams when boundaries may be ambiguous
- Communicate technical information to audiences including members of multiple levels of technical expertise.
- Able and willing to travel internationally 15% as needed
- Familiar with board-level (SMT) and product-level (FATP) electronics manufacturing processes.
- Experienced in reading and understanding electronics circuit diagrams and schematics
- Experience performing analog measurements (RF, acoustic, optical, etc.) including calibration and control of systematic errors
- Experience managing contract manufacturing test engineering partners to drive GR&R, DOE, and Factory Test Dry Runs to prepare for prototype NPI builds
- Experience driving yield and cycle time optimizations
- Experience writing clear reports (Build Reports, Station Issue Lists/Material Issue Lists, SOPs)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $144,500 - USD $176,700
Zone C: USD $136,900 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $129,300 - USD $158,100
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.