Senior Software Engineer, Android Foundation
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As a Software Engineer on Android Foundation, you would join a mobile team responsible for providing architectural guidance, frameworks, and primitives used as the building blocks for all product development at Square. Engineering teams across Square rely upon these offerings to rapidly develop and ship new features at scale.
- Identify, scope, and lead complex, mobile projects with wide impact across the company
- Build or integrate architectural frameworks and tools enabling product developers to rapidly develop and ship new features in mobile applications
- Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Design highly available, and resilient systems which can operate no matter the network or device conditions.
- Collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the company including product, design, legal, support, and other engineering teams
- Provide mentorship and design reviews for engineering teams across Square working with our frameworks
- Mentor other engineers and help cultivate a growing team
- Contribute to the direction of the team and selection of projects on our roadmap.
- 8 or more years of professional software development experience, Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or an equivalent degree)
- Ability to breakdown complex projects into components or milestones that can easily be picked up by other engineers
- Demonstrated collaboration with co-workers on cross-functional teams and in other locations
- Desire to understand developer pain points, jobs-to-be-done, and strong sense of ownership
- Desire to facilitate adoption through high-quality documentation, tutorials, and samples.
- Familiarity with any of the following programming languages: Java, Kotlin
- Familiarity building and shipping mobile apps running on custom Android operating systems and hardware
Technologies we use and teach:
- Kotlin, Java for mobile development; Gradle for build tooling.
- Compose, Workflow, Dagger, Anvil, Coroutines, RxJava, Retrofit, and OkHttp mobile libraries.
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers, JSON for network transport
- SQLDelight, SQLite, for data persistence
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $176,600
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $158,000
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.