Senior Developer Infrastructure Engineer
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
You'll be working on the Afterpay Developer Infrastructure team! As a Developer Infrastructure engineer, you’ll help our engineering organization scale by seeking to eliminate toil, build automation, and make our customers - other Afterpay engineers - effective. If you value empathy, execution-focus and communication, you will thrive here.
Developer Infrastructure broadly supports containers, orchestration, infrastructure automation, CI/CD, and observability. We implement modern tooling, including Docker, Terraform, Kubernetes, Python, Buildkite, the JVM, and Sonatype Nexus.
Technologies we work with:
- Public cloud platforms (especially AWS)
- Continuous Integration Deployment & Delivery (CI/CD) (Buildkite, Github Actions…)
- Infrastructure-as-Code (Terraform, CloudFormation, Gruntworks, etc)
- Container Orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS Fargate, Docker)
- Scripting/Infra automation languages (Python, Ruby, Bash, Rust, Go…)
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Proficiency in at least one of the languages we use - Python, Go, Java, Terraform
- Knowledge of data structures & algorithms
- Meaningful experience with coding project(s) involving other engineers on your team and customer teams
- Experience and desire to coach and mentor others
- Prior experience with some of the existing technologies we’re exposed to (named above)
- Appreciation for details and helping teams collaborate more effectively and efficiently (including your own)
- Kindness, maturity, and empathy for your customers and colleagues
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $148,700 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $141,300 - USD $176,600
Zone C: USD $133,800 - USD $167,300
Zone D: USD $126,400 - USD $158,000
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.