Credit Risk Decision Scientist - Afterpay
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, available and accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are
Afterpay's Credit Risk Decision Scientist is responsible for the following:
- Leverage quantitative analysis and machine learning to optimize Afterpay’s credit risk strategies
- Improve Afterpay’t BNPL credit portfolio by evaluating both merchant’s and consumers’ creditworthiness on Afterpay platform; use predictive modeling and analysis to dynamically assign credit limits that minimize default risk and maximize growth
- Closely monitor loss KPIs, analyze loss trends and propose strategy enhancements to optimize approval and loss performance through comprehensive data analysis
- Manage ongoing merchant loss performance and taylor merchant-level credit strategies based on approval/loss tracking and feedback from merchant partners
- Imagine new feature ideas and help design data pipelines to incorporate the features into Afterpay’s models through working closely with the feature science teams
- Collaborate with, drive alignment on key areas with a broad range of stakeholders such as Product, Engineers, Data Scientist, Operations to achieve shared objectives, provide strategic insight and solutions.
- Support and automate reports and operation processes (Performance Monitoring, Customer Service, etc.)
- Quantitative background in statistics, math, business, or related disciplines. Hands-on credit strategy experience in payments, lending, banking, financial institutions etc. a plus
- 5+ year of experience in analyzing data and using database query language (e.g. SQL, etc) and data processing and analysis tools such as R/SAS etc.. Experience with Python highly preferred
- 2+ years of experience in using or developing machine learning models with large datasets
- Work experience with data visualization tools like Tableau, Looker, or Power BI.
- Strong organizational/project management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Risk domain expert with strong capability to make professional judgment and sound decision on new business cases/challenges under ambiguity and with minimal guidance
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills, combined with superb communication skills
- Self-driven with the ability to work in a self-guided manner.
- Plus if you have experience productionalizing, deploying, and training machine learning models to solve key business problems
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $148,700 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $141,300 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $133,800 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $126,400 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D. and disability benefits
- Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.