Corporate Communications & Policy Lead, Japan
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Our Global Corporate Communications and International Public Policy teams are made up of tough, quick-witted, entrepreneurial, and intellectually curious people. We communicate to the world Block’s purpose of economic empowerment and our mission to empower businesses, artists and individuals with easy-to-use tools that give them an advantage where they previously had none.
Block is looking for an extraordinary communications and public policy professional to join our team, which protects and advocates for Block’s brand globally through engagement with media, government and regulatory partners. Reporting to the Head of APAC Corporate Communications, you will work with executives and teams across Block’s business teams, including Square Japan and other foundational teams. We ask that you have creativity, the ability to work with other teams, and to communicate complex subject matter with ease. You will work in Japan.
- Lead corporate communications for Block in Japan, and provide varying levels of support for our business teams that work in the Japan market.
- Lead public policy engagement for Block in Japan, including partnering with our APAC Public Policy Lead on all proactive and reactive opportunities that help tell our story to elected officials, regulators and policymakers.
- Protect Block’s public reputation and provide sound corporate communications counsel on a range of sensitive topics, including major announcements, mergers and acquisitions, crisis management, and regulatory affairs.
- Be a spokesperson on crucial media interactions, including crisis communications and issues that might affect our business and corporate reputation.
- Maintain an executive corporate speaking calendar and manage speaking opportunities in Japan for Block executives, and for our partners.
- Manage ongoing media relations across Japan to build relationships with essential national business, financial and technology press in the market.
- Develop written materials, including company messaging and statements, press releases, government submissions, communications plans, FAQs, and other collateral.
- Understand complex policy documents with the ability to simplify for non-policy audiences.
- Be a partner with many teams across Block, including Square Japan, finance, investor relations, legal, product, marketing, and others.
- Manage external consultants.
- 5+ years communications or policy experience with a financial technology company and/or global publicly-traded company (this can be on in-house teams or as party of a consultancy)
- Fluent spoken and written Japanese and business English
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience pitching financial, business and technology media publications
- Experience engaging and building relationships with corporate affairs team members, including journalists, government officials, committees or trade organizations
- Experience with lobbying, participating in, or submitting responses to government consultations on behalf of a business
- Former work experience with the Japanese Government, especially METI (経産省) or FSA (金融庁), is a plus
- Experience understanding complex concepts and create essential messages that are consistent but tailored to multiple audiences
- Skills in shaping and implementing simultaneous projects
- Experience working with senior leadership and teams
- A belief in Block’s mission of economic empowerment
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.