Mobile (iOS or Android) Software Engineer, Bitkey
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
We're making a bitcoin wallet for the next 100M bitcoin users. Our goal is economic empowerment -- starting with bringing easy-to-use, reliable wallet that helps people around the world own and manage their bitcoin, rather than having to rely on a number of tools and services that don’t work well together and are challenging to use for a wide global audience.
Our goal is to make the future of money intuitive, and safe while enabling customers to build a better financial future. We’re assembling a team experienced in an extremely wide range of disciplines, including business, operations, design, software, hardware, security, and so many other aspects of product delivery. Come build the future of money with us! Learn more through our newsletter here.
We are hiring iOS and Android software engineers to build the software that customers use to interact with our bitcoin wallet.
- Ship features in a new, beautiful, reliable, resilient, and open-source mobile application
- Craft pixel-perfect, intuitive UI that makes bitcoin self-custody accessible to a global audience
- Make key architecture and infrastructure decisions as you develop the product from the ground up
- Work with with designers, product managers, firmware and backend engineers to establish product scope and to design and prioritize features
- Build foundational architecture that gives our customers the surety that their bitcoin is safe
- Emphasize customer experience in all of your work, from early design to field observability and continuous improvement
- 7+ years of experience shipping features in world-class iOS or Android applications
- Experience creating readable, well-crafted, and maintainable code
- Exceptional communication skills (describing ideas, discussing approaches, presentations, status updates, and generally working with peers to collaboratively reach solutions)
- Interest in the opportunities and challenges that come with building a new product area from the ground up
- Bonus: Experience developing for bitcoin/cryptocurrency applications. Helpful, but not required!
Technologies we use and teach:
- Swift, Kotlin (including multiplatform)
- Swift Package Manager, Github Actions, Jenkins
- SQLite, SQLDelight
- Protocol Buffers
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.