Commercial & Product Counsel, Bitcoin Hardware
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. We believe bitcoin plays an essential role in the future of payments and the world’s economy. We believe that the status quo of bitcoin mining does not serve the mission of the bitcoin ecosystem. So we’re building a bitcoin mining rig powered by a Block designed ASIC. With our mining rig, we can address many issues such as the concentration of hardware supply in certain countries and incompatibility with clean energy sources. We're also building a bitcoin hardware wallet for the next 100M bitcoin users - importantly for people around the world who likely haven’t yet used bitcoin as a savings tool or for its payments capabilities yet. Our goal is economic empowerment -- starting with bringing easy-to-use, reliable wallet that helps people around the world own and manage their bitcoin, rather than having to rely on a number of tools and services that don’t work well together and are challenging to use for a wide global audience. Our goal is to make the future of money intuitive, and safe while enabling customers to build a better financial future.
As Commercial & Product Counsel, you’ll work with our mining and wallet teams to help them bring both products to market. You will report to the Counsel Lead, Bitcoin Hardware Wallet (Bitkey) and partner with our innovators to negotiate complex commercial relationships that contribute to our products’ success. You will spend ~70% of your time helping the team by reviewing, drafting, and negotiating commercial contracts and you will spend the rest of your time providing legal guidance on product development. As we expand our offerings, your ideas and contributions will make an immediate impact.
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts including hardware and manufacturing agreements and different vendor services, non disclosure, marketing, and other commercial and technology related agreements
- Provide business-oriented advice by balancing risks and business reward
- Provide guidance to product, engineering, design, and marketing teams on issues related to the bitcoin hardware wallet and mining products and features throughout the entire product development lifecycle
- Remain up-to-date on relevant global industry, consumer protection, regulatory, advertising, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to provide an ongoing ability to provide risk-tolerant, compliance-oriented guidance
- 5+ years of relevant experience with at least three years of contracts drafting and negotiation experience at technology companies and/or law firms
- Expertise in drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial, licensing and other technology related agreements
- Excellent commercial negotiation and drafting skills
- Sound, practical business judgment, and creativity solving problems
- Analytical ability, project management experience and communication skills
- A team-oriented style yet can work with little or no supervision
- The ability to perform well under tight deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Work in an evolving and growing environment that is prone to changes
- A JD and active membership in at least one state bar
- Experience negotiating hardware and manufacturing agreements
- Familiarity with launching products and advising on the legal and regulatory aspects of product development in the technology space
- Experience with hardware, bitcoin, and/or fintech regulations, and global privacy regulations
- An interest in bitcoin
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $188,400 - USD $230,200
Zone C: USD $178,200 - USD $217,800
Zone D: USD $168,100 - USD $205,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.