Payments Regulatory Counsel
- Alternate Location: Chicago, United States
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App’s dedicated Legal Team is looking for a Payments Regulatory Counsel to provide strategic counsel and support to our business and compliance partners. You will partner with a team of regulatory attorneys dedicated to serving the Cash App product. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who enjoys developing a deep understanding of the regulatory landscape and advising internal stakeholders on emerging legal requirements. As part of Cash App's legal team, your ideas and contributions will have immediate impact. This is a full-time role that can be remote and will report to Cash App's Lead Payments Regulatory Counsel.
- Provide legal advice to teams on all aspects of payments laws and regulations. In particular, you must have a strong understanding of Card Network Rules, Nacha Rules, the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) / Anti-Money Laundering (AML) laws, OFAC and sanctions laws, Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA) / Regulation E, and UDAAP/UDAP
- Monitor and analyze regulatory developments and trends, and develop company strategies to mitigate risk
- Provide counseling to Product Counsel and Compliance for Cash App’s products and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Represent the company in regulatory interactions, including responding to regulatory inquiries and participating in routine regulatory examinations
- Consult the Policy team in connection with prospective laws that will affect the Cash App business and provide comments to draft legislation
- Consult the Policy team on drafting comment letters to prospective payments laws
- Build working relationships with colleagues across multiple Block, Inc. business and legal teams in the US and around the globe
- J.D. from an accredited law school and admission to the bar in at least one state
- Minimum of 5 years of experience providing financial services regulatory compliance guidance, with a focus on financial technology payments regulation
- Strong understanding of the payment industry and the U.S. consumer regulatory landscape
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $227,900 - USD $278,500
Zone C: USD $215,600 - USD $263,600
Zone D: USD $208,400 - USD $254,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.