General Counsel and Business Affairs, TIDAL
Available in 61 countries, the streaming service has more than over 100 million songs and over 650,000 high-quality videos in its catalog, along with original video series, podcasts, thousands of expertly curated playlists, and artist discovery via TIDAL Rising. TIDAL is available in Free (US only), HiFi, and HiFi Plus tiers, with the HiFi Plus membership offering access to immersive audio features like Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) recordings, Dolby Atmos Music, and Sony’s 360 Reality Audio recordings; for a higher monthly fee that TIDAL redistributes back to artists.
TIDAL is part of Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ), a global technology company with a focus on financial services.
For more information, please visit www.tidal.com.
Block is looking for a business-minded attorney to focus on providing TIDAL with both: (1) legal and business guidance on product, regulatory, commercial, and content licensing and (2) helping ensure TIDAL builds strong collaborative relationships with our licensing partners to enable TIDAL to innovate new products and services while also being mindful of our financial performance.
You will report to the Chief Legal Officer, Block and partner with our business and engineering teams to develop new technologies, products and partnerships, while managing legal and financial risk, and ensuring Block’s compliance with the laws and regulations of each country in which TIDAL operates. This role would be embedded within the TIDAL organization, while being a part of the Block Counsel team. You will play a key role in the future of TIDAL and what we want to build. We are looking for a highly adaptable, organized and self-motivated individual who can handle a fast pace.
This is a great opportunity to join an established team of legal and industry professionals and work on cutting-edge music and entertainment issues. A creative legal and business mind are all required.
This role can be in a remote location, but a preference for being located in the eastern time zone.
- Provide guidance to product and engineering teams on issues related to all products and features throughout the entire product development lifecycle
- Draft and negotiate commercial and licensing agreements affecting our products and services and build strong partnerships with our licensing partners
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry developments to provide an ongoing ability to provide sound advice
- Provide ideas and insights into how we can work within the law to create amazing product experiences for our customers
- Manage projects effectively, with a team-oriented approach
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in law firms and/or in-house departments working on music and entertainment matters
- Track record of strong people management
- Domain expertise in music streaming or other media platforms
- Passion for our purpose of economic empowerment of artists
- A combination of both in-house and major law firm practice experience is preferred
- Fluency in translating legal advice into actionable guidance for innovative product, finance and business teams
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage projects effectively
- Good communication skills and ability to build relationships with various stakeholders at Block
- High ethical standards and team player
- A JD and active membership in at least one state bar
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone B: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone C: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone D: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.