Senior Engineering Manager, Orders Reporting Experience
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square’s purpose is economic empowerment; since our beginning, we have been helping numerous sellers start and manage their own businesses. Many small businesses struggled with the pandemic as they scrambled to adapt to going online to reach their customers.
The Orders reporting has a mission to empower sellers through extensible data and insights to make critical business decisions. To achieve that, we aim to build a reporting experience platform that empowers Sellers and teams within Square to support our sellers in this bright future ahead.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Orders Reporting Experience team. We have a vision in which Square sellers are able to easily discover reports, insights that are meaningful to running their business and take appropriate actions in a timely manner regardless of source or channel. This team is central to that mission. This team is responsible for building leverageable UI components and reporting utilities that can work across different environments and can be leveraged by different product teams.
You will work across different teams & organizations to understand Seller needs and set a technical direction & roadmap for the team in partnership with product owners. All while leading and empowering a team of excellent engineers to provide a best-in-class reporting experience to our Sellers irrespective of the medium (web, mobile & native iOS or Android). This team’s work is critically important for building our vision of the future!
- You will work across different teams & organizations, shape technical direction & roadmap for the team in partnership with product owners.
- Lead, grow, motivate and inspire the team of engineers responsible for the Orders Reporting experience in Square’s Dashboard & Mobile applications.
- Make decisions with direct bearing on the course and success of the product, in consultation with your engineers and close collaboration with design and product management partners.
- Ensure a high level of engineering quality through well-structured APIs, reusable components, and well-tested, maintainable software.
- Achieve a state where Square teams are able to leverage components built by this team to meet their Seller needs.
- Envision and achieve a future state where Square sellers are able to access all of their business health data efficiently across Web & Mobile.
- 5+ years software development experience
- 5+ years of experience managing engineering teams OR practical experience setting the technical direction for a team through close collaboration with stakeholders and driving execution for multi-person, multi-team projects.
- Experience with web development & experience building reusable components that can be leveraged on iOS and Android is a plus.
- Experience managing & building full stack teams that build products leverageable by other engineering teams.
- A desire to build products that our merchants will depend on every day to run their business.
- [Bonus] Experience building data visualizations & insight products is a plus.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.