Android Software Engineer, Afterpay
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
This role is part of the Paynow team which is responsible for customer online payment solutions and Health Services solutions for some of the major Australian financial institutions and related service partners. As an Android Engineer on the PayNow team you will be responsible for working on enterprise services that provide payments and healthcare solutions to some of Australia’s largest telecommunication and health services providers.
In this role you will help develop and maintain client applications embedded in the financial institution terminals that underpins our healthcare platform. You will work in a multi-functional team responsible to develop new features and improve on existing experiences of our Healthcare products such as Health Claiming, support for payments and Afterpay, and in the process, contribute to one of our most important projects.
- Build end-to-end features of the app: networking, persistence, business logic, and UI
- Own features and functions throughout their lifecycle from inception, rollout, launch, scale and iteration
- Fostering the use of agile practices for Software Delivery
- Participate in the ongoing design and architecture of our evolving our product and services
- Collaborate with other engineers, product managers, experience designers & business stakeholders to build efficient and reliable feature implementations that will delight our customers
- Invent thoughtful Android tech and open source it
- Re-architect legacy code and prep it to scale for the future of the product and the team
- Must have 3+ years of experience with Kotlin
- Experience with Java and React is preferred
- Experience with version control (preferably Git)
- Experience with RESTful APIs and third-party libraries
- Experience with EFTPOS terminal (payment) applications or a working knowledge of such applications is preferred
- Ability to build high availability and highly resilient systems which can accept and report claims and payments no matter the network or device conditions
- You enjoy working on mobile apps at all levels – from networking up to user interfaces and whatever’s in between
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.