Software Engineer (Backend), Orders Core API
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square’s purpose is economic empowerment; since the company’s beginning, we have been helping numerous people start and manage their own businesses. During the pandemic, many small businesses struggled, as they scramble to adapt to going online to reach their customers.
The Orders team has a mission to enable sellers to reach their customers anywhere, and provide a seamless experience to the customers (e.g. buy online, pickup in store) that today might only be available from much larger merchants. We have already started rolling out to a small percentage of sellers, with a goal of expanding this to all sellers. Furthermore, we strive to build an Orders platform that empowers both teams at Square and an ecosystem of third-party developers to support our sellers in this bright future ahead.
This is a massive undertaking with huge challenges. We have a wide range of sellers with many different needs, and to meet those needs, we work with many stakeholder teams at Square in navigating dependencies and intertwined technical / product ambiguities. As we scale to more sellers, we also have new obstacles to overcome on performance and reliability. The team has been growing rapidly, and that has brought its own scalability challenges, so we are re-examining our rituals to support the team.
As a backend engineer on the Orders Core API team, you will help build API solutions for our first and third-party customers that support our mission of empowering our sellers to succeed by helping them throughout their entire business lifecycle. Our API solutions need to support high-volume with low-latency and be reliable.
- Help lead the design/development of Orders API solutions that are used by first and third-party developers to interact with the orders platform
- Lead by example and help foster a culture of positivity, psychological safety, and inclusivity within the team
- Work with other engineers and PM’s across multiple teams to gather requirements, design, develop, test, launch, and maintain features
- Mentor other engineers and contribute to the direction of the team
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to other engineers (both on our team and outside of our team)
- Help maintain and improve the processes we use to manage our work
- Be excited to work in the middle of the Orders ecosystem and solve complex problems that require high availability and reliability
- Be on-call for the applications our team owns
If you share our passion for this mission, and are eager to solve these complex challenges, please reach out to us!
- 5+ years of industry experience designing and building APIs using Java or an equivalent language
- Experience with, and a passion for, creating and maintaining a public API
- Experience with complex distributed systems that require high throughput and reliability
- Experience with orders systems (ecom, retail, restaurant, appointments, etc.) or equivalent multi component large size / scale system
- Experience leading complex technical projects, e.g. cross-team programs
- A strong sense of customer empathy and an interest in influencing the direction of the product
- Excellent software engineering knowledge and the ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance.
Technologies we use:
- Java / Guice / MySQL / Protocol Buffers / gRPC / JUnit / jOOQ / Redis / Kafka / git / Bazel / Zookeeper / AWS / DynamoDB
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.