Corporate Development Deal Lead
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
The Corporate Development team works across Block’s business units, with Square, Cash App, TIDAL, TBD, and other emerging initiatives, to bring world-class companies, technology, and talent into our organization through acquisitions. The team manages sourcing, negotiating, structuring, and executing impactful acquisitions and investments, and informing our strategy by identifying industry trends and maintaining relationships with startups, VCs and bankers. You will be an essential member of a high-impact team situated at the nexus of product, engineering, and the broader strategic efforts at Block. You will be an integral member of the team and will support all stages of the evaluation and acquisition process. You will also contribute to a broad array of projects for the team, including market analysis, transaction analysis and strategy development. The role is full-time, and is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, New York, or remote.
- Work with senior executives and product leads to develop strategies and identify acquisition and investment opportunities that accelerate Block’s mission
- Maintain relationships with startups, VCs, bankers, and leading technology companies to inform product strategy and stay up to date with competitive landscape
- Help develop the Corp Dev deal pipeline, including outreach to and sourcing of new opportunities
- Conduct rigorous research and analysis, including valuation and business case modeling, to provide detailed guidance and insight into potential acquisitions, investments and other strategic opportunities
- Lead and drive the execution of M&A and strategic investments throughout the deal process, including sourcing opportunities, performing financial analysis, negotiating deal terms, and coordinating all aspects of due diligence in coordination with cross-functional partners across product, engineering, legal, and other foundational teams.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience, including investment banking, venture capital, private equity, strategy consulting, or corporate development experience
- Experience at a leading technology company or startup
- Ability to manage complex processes from start to finish
- Ability to drive projects cross-functionally, synthesize feedback, develop agreement and create structure, with a willingness to do what needs to be done to make a deal successful
- Demonstrated analytical skills, fluency in performing rigorous financial, valuation, and other quantitative analyses
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a heightened attention to detail
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $171,200 - USD $209,200
Zone C: USD $162,000 - USD $198,000
Zone D: USD $152,700 - USD $186,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.