Engineering Manager for Data InVentory Enablement (DIVE)
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Are you ready to take the lead in shaping the future of data governance at Block? We are actively seeking a passionate and experienced Engineering Manager to head our Data InVentory Enablement (DIVE) Team, a vital component of the Data Governance Foundation organization. As the Engineering Manager of DIVE, you will drive the delivery of a comprehensive Data Inventory and oversee projects related to data classification, metadata enablement, and visibility tooling for multiple business units under Block.
Our mission is clear: to make data comprehension across its lifecycle at Block easier through seamless automation and efficient tooling, always leaning towards adopting existing solutions over building from scratch. Additionally, your role will involve centralizing integration with various 3rd party data vendors, ensuring discoverability, and establishing the appropriate governance framework for disseminating data artifacts throughout the organization.
- Lead and manage a team of skilled engineers responsible for delivering foundational Data Inventory capabilities that support numerous stakeholders and dozens of teams.
- Foster the growth of your team by attracting and hiring top-tier candidates, providing coaching and development opportunities for engineers.
- Leveraging your technical and managerial expertise to inspire the highest quality of work.
- Establish a compelling vision, advocate innovative solutions, manage stakeholder expectations effectively, and consistently deliver on commitments.
- Cultivate strategic partnerships with vendors, optimize costs, and stay at the forefront of industry trends and best practices related to data management.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant software engineering experience, showcasing your strong technical acumen.
- At least 2 years of experience directly managing engineers, demonstrating your ability to lead and empower teams.
- A proven track record of fostering healthy collaboration with product managers, engineers, and other engineering managers to develop roadmaps and successfully execute projects.
- Experience in successfully leading and coordinating remote teams, ensuring efficient communication and collaboration.
- Exceptional technical judgment and significant experience handling complex technical concepts, allowing you to make informed decisions and drive innovation.
Join us and play a critical role in growing and fostering Block's data community while promoting engineering best practices. This is an exciting opportunity to lead a team that will shape the future of data management at Block and have a lasting impact on the organization's success.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone B: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone C: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
Zone D: USD $269,600 - USD $329,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.