Sr. Application Security Engineer, Product Security
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Sr. Application Security Engineers in Afterpay’s Product Security team partner with product and platform teams to build and deploy technical solutions that ensure the ongoing security of our products. You will collaborate with engineering teams working on the entire Afterpay platform to assess design, implementation, and operational security concerns to mitigate vulnerabilities and risks across all our technologies.
You will focus on Application Security concerns within our services, and will focus on impactful vulnerability mitigation and removal of technical security risks, reporting to the Afterpay Product Security engineering manager.
You should expect to
- Assess security impacts and engage with product teams on design and execution of new features, services, and integrations
- Grow relationships with product engineering partners to communicate security concerns
- Perform analysis and provide direction on the removal of vulnerabilities identified by our tooling within our services and platform
- Directly improve vulnerabilities in collaboration with service teams
- Evaluate services to discover risks and vulnerabilities not discovered by our automation and tooling
- Build our in-house tooling and integrations to address security issues
- Mentor peers and junior engineers on information security as a profession
- Relevant Bachelor's degree (or equivalent practical experience) plus 5 years of relevant industry (or additional academic) experience
- Demonstrated experience in vulnerability discovery and remediation
- Offensive security experience assessing application design, implementation, and business logic to identify gaps
- Applicable experience in security architecture review and design
- Proficient in our core technology toolkit (git, docker, bash, python, java/kotlin, terraform, AWS infrastructure)
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.