Electrical Engineering Manager
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Our hardware team builds the tangible connection to all that is Square. From the iconic Square Card Reader family - to Square Stand, Terminal, and Register - our family of devices is growing, and this is only the beginning. As we introduce more and more of our products to the world, our hardware footprint continues to expand.
Square’s purpose of economic empowerment for our sellers demands increasingly aggressive electrical designs that include integration of multiple technologies, RF, near-field communication (NFC), batteries, displays, multiple CPUs, and more. All of this must coexist with security, reliability, and low cost at high-volume manufacturing.
We are looking for an electrical engineering manager to develop, own, and drive the electrical design of our most complex product to date. You will lead an eager team of engineers with mixed levels of experience and report to the Head of Electrical Engineering for our Square business group.
- Be the electrical engineering technical leader for one of Square’s HW product lines.
- Build your team by hiring, coaching, and mentoring a world class electrical engineering design team.
- Manage the requirements and verification test plans of next-generation Square hardware.
- Allocate resources within your team (including yourself) to the electrical engineering projects.
- Create and manage milestones and deliverables with your team for both product electrical design and test/validation.
- Maintain visibility across the hardware your team owns, and have the ability to deep dive into projects and challenges.
- Liaise with other technical leaders both within and outside of the Hardware team (PCB, PD, Operations, Manufacturing Test, GSM, and more).
- Leverage your technical leadership experience in hardware design to establish a team culture that biases towards action and tests ideas to achieve radically simple designs.
- Motivate your team with a clear vision and create ambitious plans for your team’s work while holding a high bar for technical quality.
- Establish best practices, standards, and design and release review processes that enable both high speed development and rigorous execution.
- Cultivate and support an inclusive team culture.
- Travel domestically and/or internationally 5-15%
- 8+ years of demonstrated experience with tightly integrated electronics designs and system integration.
- 2+ year leading a technical engineering team, and direct hiring management experience finding great talent.
- Experience working with products across various stages of development, from prototype to production.
- Demonstrated experience in handling priorities and collaborating across a complex organization.
- You’re hands-on with hardware; you know your way around tools like oscilloscopes and signal generators.
- Have worked with and managed partners in both JDM and CM development models.
- Experience with products requiring information security.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.