Sr. Software Engineer, Data Foundation Platform
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block’s Data Foundations group builds and maintains a data platform that enables customers to publish, aggregate and orchestrate low-latency data at scale from across Block’s distributed ecosystem. Our job is to make it easy for data producers to integrate data into the platform and for data consumers to use it once it’s there. Our goal is to allow data users to spend less time on infrastructure so that they can spend more time delivering business value.
Within that group, the Data Aggregation Platform team builds systems that aggregate data from all over the company together into shared data processing systems like Databricks and Block's Machine Learning Platform. To accomplish this goal, we’re building a scalable streaming data ingestion system that enables publishers from all over the company to send their data into our systems, configure where it should go, and define transformations on top of it. At the same time, we’re building infrastructure on top of Databricks to enable Machine Learning Engineers and Analysts to start working with batch and streaming data with minimal setup.
We sit in a unique spot as a platform team since we are able to work with data scientists, engineers, and product managers from across the organization. We learn directly from our customers and build software that improves their productivity and impact.
We’re looking for engineers to help us continue building out Block’s data platform.
- Build tools and systems that make data scientists and machine learning engineers happier and more productive
- Build highly scalable, distributed, cloud-based streaming systems capable of handling the scale of all of Block’s data
- Work closely with product, data science, and engineering teams throughout the organization to understand their needs and solve their problems
- Lead architectural and design discussions, ensuring our platform is performant, fault tolerant, and maintainable
- Mentor your teammates and assist engineers on other teams who integrate with our platform
- 5+ years of production software engineering experience
- A desire to solve our customer’s problems by iterating with them on requirements and solutions
- Experience working with stream processing technologies such as Kafka, PubSub, and Spark Structured Streaming
- Experience designing and building flexible large scale data processing systems, ideally with Spark
- Experience using AWS, particularly familiarity with: AWS IAM, standard AWS networking concepts (PrivateLink, VPC configuration), and DynamoDB.
- Demonstrated technical initiative and leadership on previous projects, as well as a track record of mentoring junior engineers
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Python
- Spark (Databricks), Kafka (Confluent)
- Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Prefect
- DynamoDB, MySQL, S3, GCS
- AWS, GCP
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.