Software Engineering Manager, Payroll
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We aspire to eliminate the hours of weekly drudgery that sellers and team members expend staying aligned and provide tools to build better relationships between employers and employees.
Square Staff is a suite of labor management, payroll, and communications tools that enables business owners, managers, and employees to thrive together. We provide valuable insights to sellers using data collected from our ecosystem with the goal of helping them make informed decisions about their workforce – just a few employees, to many (sometimes hundreds or thousands!). We are building the most intelligent back office software available anywhere, boosted by our ecosystem of data, 360 degree view of the business, and direct relationship with all team members. Square Staff helps give our sellers the peace of mind that their business is running smoothly, even if they're not physically present. (To learn more about the Square Staff products please visit https://squareup.com/us/en/staff)
We are excited to welcome an enthusiastic, inclusive, and experienced Engineering Manager to our diverse team. We're deeply committed to fostering an environment where everyone is seen, heard, and valued, and we want you to help us to maintain and promote this philosophy. If you're someone who believes that diversity is a strength and that every team member can bring a unique perspective to problem-solving, we encourage you to read on!
In this role, you will:
- Manage, mentor, and inspire your engineering team, fostering an environment of well-being, focused work, inclusive collaboration, and continuous improvement. We expect you to create opportunities for the professional growth of your team members, recognizing their skills, knowledge, and experiences while supporting them in their unique career paths.
- Oversee the design, development, and implementation of projects, ensuring their consistent delivery and remarkable value to our customers.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders to plan, develop, and implement Payroll’s technology vision, ensuring alignment with our business objectives and the broader Square (& Block) ecosystem.
- Continuously review and refine our engineering processes, boosting efficiency, productivity, and quality while reducing bias and fostering a culture of equity and transparency.
- Prioritize ruthlessly, and navigate the uncertainty that comes with innovation in highly regulated spaces.
In the past, you:
- Have 8+ years of software development experience, and ability to mentor engineers and future leaders up to a Senior or Staff engineering level, ideally with experience in AWS and one of Java, Ruby, Python, or Kotlin.
- Have 3+ years of experience managing teams of up to 10 engineers, including managing and shipping cross-functional or multi-team projects.
- Understand the larger business context and frame projects and prioritization around impact to the business and users, and enjoy collaborating with product management and design.
- Place a very high value on good communication and appreciate async- and remote-friendly working practices. You know how to pick the right communication tool for the problem at hand (chat, video, email, etc.). You value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and you understand how good communication practices intersect with efforts to build a diverse and inclusive culture.
- Understand methodologies like Agile, XP, and Lean, and see their value, but don't believe there's only one right way to get work done.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.