Business Operations Manager, Sales Strategy, Advertising
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Sales Strategy Associate is a critical member of the ad sales org, responsible for developing and executing sales strategies that align with the company's business objectives. This role will work closely with the Sales teams, Ad Ops, Product, Engineering, Data Science, Analytics, and Finance teams to identify and develop new opportunities, and to optimize existing sales channels. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the Ad industry, experience developing strategies for a growing sales org, and support the business through changes.
We are much more than our job descriptions, but as Business Operations Associate, you will …
- Set strategic priorities: Conduct analyses that establish the strategic priorities for the Afterpay and Cash App ads businesses, collaborating with product, and identifying needs, models, and sales targets, among others.
- Operationalize insights: Identify key metrics, measure progress against goals, and create processes that turn analysis into action. Surface digestible data-based insights and real-time reporting that inform key leadership decisions and drive growth across our business.
- Develop commercial strategy for current and emerging products and sales verticals by analyzing business opportunities, identifying competitive dynamics, and synthesizing internal and external data. Lead complex analyses that improve our existing partnerships and define deal strategy.
- Work closely with the Sales teams, Ad Ops, Product, Engineering, Data Science, Analytics, and Finance teams to identify and develop new sales opportunities
- Optimize existing sales channels
- Conduct market research and analysis to identify trends and opportunities
- Manage and track sales pipeline
- Report on sales performance and metrics
- Stay up-to-date on the latest ad sales industry trends
Who are you?
- 10+ years of strategy and business operations, sales ops, or strategy & operations experience preferably in either management consulting or a fast-moving technology company.
- Business acumen and a strong understanding of the ad sales process. You excel at identifying business opportunities and navigating commercial challenges, and you are an adept problem solver.
- Strong analytical stills. You effectively model, manipulate data, and leverage analytics tools to develop strategic priorities.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Desire to learn and grow
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $184,100 - USD $225,000
Zone B: USD $171,200 - USD $209,200
Zone C: USD $162,000 - USD $198,000
Zone D: USD $152,700 - USD $186,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.