Data Scientist, Data Governance Foundation
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Are you ready to make an impact in shaping the future of data governance at Block? We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Data Scientist to join our Data Governance Foundations team. As a Data Scientist focused on the Data Governance Foundation team, you will play a pivotal role in crafting and executing robust data and machine learning tooling. Your expertise in machine learning and AI will help us create efficient and automated solutions for data classification, metadata management, and data quality across various business units under Block.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams including data engineers, data analysts, engineers and legal/compliance teams to understand data governance requirements and priorities.
- Design and implement advanced models for data classification, leveraging machine learning and Generative AI to accurately categorize and label data assets
- Develop and refine metadata enablement frameworks that facilitate easy discovery, lineage tracking, and accessibility of data assets.
- Contribute to the creation of data quality frameworks and algorithms to identify, measure, and mitigate data quality issues across the data ecosystem, utilizing machine learning approaches.
- Enable development of automated workflows and processes that enhance the efficiency of data governance operations, including monitoring, alerting, and reporting mechanisms.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to establish governance policies, standards, and best practices, ensuring alignment with regulatory requirements and industry standards.
- Proactively identify opportunities to enhance data enablement, compliance, and privacy protection, fostering a culture of continuous improvement within the data governance domain.
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, or a related quantitative field.
- 2+ years experience in data science and analytics,
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, or similar, and expertise in machine learning libraries and frameworks.
- Experience working with large and complex datasets, including data from structured and unstructured sources.
- Proven ability to design, implement, and evaluate machine learning models and algorithms.
- Strong communication skills to collaborate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $103,900 - USD $126,900
Zone B: USD $96,600 - USD $118,000
Zone C: USD $88,300 - USD $107,900
Zone D: USD $77,900 - USD $95,300
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.