Disputes Operations Lead
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We are looking for a highly motivated, inquisitive, and resourceful individual to join the Dispute Operations Team within Square’s Risk Organization. As a Dispute Operations Lead, you will lead the team in safeguarding merchants against first-party fraud and transactional confusion by effectively recovering losses incurred through chargebacks.
This position requires extensive comprehension and substantial experience in successfully implementing and adhering to chargeback rules set by various card networks. It entails effectively managing an operations team while maintaining consistent adherence to company and regulatory standards. Additionally, the role involves providing valuable advisory services to merchants, offering insights into industry-leading best practices regarding chargeback prevention and recovery.
- Lead and manage the dispute operations team, ensuring efficient handling of cases and providing excellent service to Square sellers and partners.
- Conduct performance evaluations, QAs, and provide coaching and mentoring for team members' professional development.
- Administer chargeback case queues to maximize system efficiency.
- Stay updated on industry regulations, card network rules, and best practices for compliance.
- Serve as the main point of contact for chargeback-related inquiries, escalations, and complaints, resolving issues promptly.
- Continuously assess and improve workflows, adhere to SLAs, monitor and manage team KPIs, and achieve high customer satisfaction.
- Evaluate department processes, performance, and systems to drive improvements.
- Analyze data to recommend efficiency enhancements in the chargeback process.
- Monitor chargeback case volumes and proactively identify staffing needs.
- Manage recruiting efforts and coordinate training for new hires and current teams.
- Build relationships and partner with the rest of the Risk Operations organization and cross-functional partners.
- Minimum 2 years of leadership and people management experience with a proven track record of high performance.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in payments, chargeback management and fraud management.
- Proficiency in SQL, Looker, Excel (creating Pivot tables, Payments tables, etc.) data analysis tools, and a data-driven work style.
- Creative problem-solving skills with the ability to find solutions in ambiguous situations and execute with cross-functional partners.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently or in teams to drive execution.
- Strong analytical skills with great attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and time management skills to handle multiple competing priorities.
- Quick learner who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Customer-focused with a passion for improving the customer experience.
- Collaborative problem solver with a strong interest in financial technology.
- Ability to synthesize information and provide clear and concise recommendations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to engage with the team effectively.
- Cross-functional communication and influencing skills.
- Project management experience is a plus
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $94,400 - USD $115,400
Zone B: USD $87,800 - USD $107,400
Zone C: USD $80,300 - USD $98,100
Zone D: USD $70,800 - USD $86,600
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.