Senior Engineering Manager, Order Workflows
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square’s purpose is economic empowerment; since our beginning, we have been helping numerous sellers start and manage their own businesses.
The Orders team has a mission to enable sellers to reach their customers anywhere and provide seamless omnichannel experiences - such as buy online, pickup in store - to sellers of all sizes. Furthermore, we strive to build an Orders platform that empowers both teams at Square and an ecosystem of third-party developers to support our sellers’ ever-evolving needs.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager to lead the Order Workflows team. Our mission is to empower Sellers everywhere to sell with minimal effort and flawless execution no matter where and how their buyers prefer. You will leverage Square’s platform of core primitives - such as Order, Payment, Fulfillment, and more - to streamline, automate, and amplify sellers' order management capabilities, building the platform capabilities along the way that enable other teams within and outside of Square to do the same. This team is positioned to address the hardest and most critical issues our sellers face today.
- Lead, grow, motivate and inspire the team of engineers responsible for the platform that powers sellers’ most critical order management capabilities, such as searching, notifications, and automated workflows.
- Make decisions with direct bearing on the course and success of the product, in consultation with your engineers and close collaboration with design and product management partners.
- Nurture and ensure a high level of engineering quality through well-structured APIs, reusable components, and well-tested, maintainable software.
- Partner with product owners to define and evangelize an engineering and product strategy that will influence the direction of Square’s commerce platform.
- Envision and achieve a future state where developers are able to seamlessly stitch together Square’s platform primitives into robust seller experiences.
- 7+ years software development experience.
- 4+ years of experience managing backend or fullstack engineering teams.
- Experience collaborating with stakeholders and driving execution across team and organizational boundaries.
- Experience creating, delivering, and operating highly reliable distributed systems at scale.
- A desire to build platform capabilities that our merchants will depend on every day to run their business.
- [Bonus] Experience building and maintaining APIs for mobile and web clients
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.