International Indirect Tax Senior Analyst
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
Block is looking for an International Indirect Tax (VAT / GST) / Transaction Tax Senior Analyst to join the tax function. You will be part of the Tax Team and will support the current and increasing volume of international indirect tax projects. You must have the ability to work within many functions of the tax team across our organization. You may be remote or located in one of Block offices in the US.
- Help review agreements related to different Block products and unique features from a global indirect tax perspective in different countries (e.g. Ireland, France, Spain, Canada, Japan, UK).
- Engage and take part in discussions with Block leadership partners to understand complex transactions and provide the proper guidance from an international indirect tax perspective.
- Help with any implementation requirements, which may apply following the indirect tax assessment (e.g. invoicing requirements, reporting requirements, tax engine configuration, etc).
- Communicate with the Indirect Tax Compliance team about potential indirect tax implications and help close any compliance requirement gaps.
- Help with the Indirect Tax compliance process, preparing workbooks and supporting information required to complete returns.
- Document, by formal memorandum, the background of any indirect tax review undertaken.
- Help maintain a record of the tax review in the event of an external audit / tax authority inquiry.
- Research and document relevant indirect tax laws, guidelines, legislative updates and court decisions and their impact applicable to the Block business.
- Help review several terms of services with external customers from an international indirect tax perspective.
- Help implement processes as a result of evolving business practices or tax legislation.
- Support indirect tax planning on any business restructures and acquisitions.
- Communicate and work with external advisors and work with internal partners, such as product, accounting and finance & strategy.
- Support tax leadership in establishing and refining tax policies, processes, strategy / goals and system workflows.
- 5+ years of international indirect tax experience working at a public accounting firm and/or multinational corporation.
- Familiarity with financial services and e-commerce sales taxation trends and indirect tax implications.
- A great sense of accuracy, problem-resolution and management skills.
- Ability to seek out and implement internal or external best practices.
- Ability to examine all sides of an argument, document comprehensive tax positions, and ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place to ensure all aspects have been considered.
- CPA and/or Master's in Taxation and/or JD/LLM
- International indirect tax experience in the technology industry and/or multinational company.
- Experience in Big 4 accounting firms and/or law firms
- Experience using Google Suite applications (Spreadsheet, Docs, Slides, etc.)
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $94,400 - USD $115,400
Zone B: USD $87,800 - USD $107,400
Zone C: USD $80,300 - USD $98,100
Zone D: USD $70,800 - USD $86,600
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.