Lending Regulatory Counsel
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Square is looking for a highly engaged candidate with a passion for all things consumer and commercial lending to join our legal organization.
You will, under the direction of the Global Lending Regulatory Counsel:
- Provide legal and regulatory advice on our products to members of the Counsel team and business partners on consumer protection laws, including Reg E, Reg B, FCRA, MLA, SCRA, GLBA, UDAAP, and state lending licensing regulations
- Support regulatory inquiries from the CFPB, FDIC, other federal regulatory authorities and bank partners
- Advise on legal, regulatory, and industry requirements for consumer and commercial lending and related financial services activities
- Summarize and analyze impact of new applicable rules and regulations
- Identify risk areas and develop systems and procedures to manage and reduce them at a product-level and an enterprise-risk level
- Balance risks and business reward
- 6+ years experience at a law firm (with lending advisory experience), financial services regulatory agency, bank partnership experience or inhouse experience
- Experience with FinTech, lending and banking issues
- Experience handling regulatory matters and have prior relationships with relevant regulators at the CFPB, FDIC, OCC, and other relevant state and federal agencies
- High degree of comfort and fluency with computers and technology, and understanding of how technology is applied to business and regulatory problems
- JD and an active membership and good standing with Bar of resident state and/or the California Bar or New York Bar
The interview process will include a phone screen with a recruiter and hiring manager and then a video interview with members on the legal team.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $227,900 - USD $278,500
Zone C: USD $215,600 - USD $263,600
Zone D: USD $208,400 - USD $254,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.