Head of Engineering, Restaurants
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Vertical specific solutions are core to Square's growth plans. They allow us to meet the needs of a diverse seller base with unmatched experiences and technical capabilities. The Square for Restaurants team within Square empowers Food & Drink businesses of all kinds to start, run, and grow their businesses through advanced workflows, specialized products, and business insights specific to them, while also leveraging Square's broader ecosystem.
We are looking for a Head of Engineering, reporting to the General Manager, Square for Restaurants. Join us and build Square’s next generation platform for Food & Drink. In this role, you would lead 80+ engineers along with their engineering leadership in delivering the restaurant experiences for diners, owners, and staff. In addition, you will collaborate with other Engineering peers responsible for hundreds of engineers altogether who are delivering a seamless multi-product experience. You will also work alongside Square’s leadership team to support and shape Square’s platform-powered ecosystem strategy.
If you're looking to change the way an industry operates and create impact at a high-growth company, you will find this role compelling and rewarding! Our Head of Engineering will be a passionate advocate for Food & Drink businesses, and drawn to Square's purpose of economic empowerment, and their role in helping understand and address their struggles and needs.
- Structure and run the team like a well oiled machine; scale our processes, and systems
- Grow our world class engineering organization in size and/or in capability and expertise; empower leaders at every level
- Influence business strategy and product vision as part of the Restaurants leadership team
- Cultivate an inclusive team culture focused on customer empathy, ownership, and integrity
- Operate a high performing and growing organization within a large global enterprise
- Expand our Restaurants technology stack by encouraging innovation across all your teams
- Mission orientation: you are motivated by our purpose of economic employment and serving our sellers and developers. Your excitement is genuine for helping small and medium sized businesses and their employees succeed.
- Operator mindset: you have experience creating and implementing systems and processes to scale and support Engineering teams with a focus on execution and operational excellence
- Restaurant domain expertise and demonstrated experience operating, or related experience desired in the B2B2C space.
- People manager: people magnet, team and culture creator
- 10+ years relevant software development and systems design experience working on consumer facing products.
- 8+ years of experience as a Software Engineering Manager or Lead; 4+ years managing managers
This is a remote friendly opportunity. #LI-Remote
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone B: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone C: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
Zone D: USD $326,300 - USD $398,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.