Consumer Protection Compliance Program Lead
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
You will report to the Head of Compliance for Cash App and will lead and oversee our consumer protection compliance function for the Cash App and Afterpay brands. In this role, you will be responsible for creating a vision for our consumer protection compliance program, and will develop and oversee systems, processes, and controls that support compliance with U.S. and international laws, rules, and regulations related to consumer protection. You will work closely with a cross-functional group of stakeholders to help identify issues and risks, and develop and implement effective and practical solutions. You will also represent the Cash App Consumer Protection Compliance program with our business partners, regulators, and other stakeholders. You will be part of the Cash App Compliance Leadership Team and will help drive the compliance program and business objectives forward in a thoughtful and responsible fashion.
- Develop a vision for the consumer protection compliance function
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders to develop and execute a strategy for managing consumer financial protection protection issues across our Cash App and Afterpay brands
- Represent Compliance in cross-functional meetings with legal, business, operations, technology and other stakeholders
- Engage with external stakeholders, including regulators and business partners
- Analyze regulatory changes and formulate solutions to new regulatory developments
- Provide guidance and approval for compliance policies, procedures, training, and marketing materials
- Oversee the resolution of identified issues as part of the issues management process
- Assist Cash App and Afterpay in preparing for reviews by regulatory agencies, examiners, and auditors
- Navigate compliance related inquiries and assist with action plans created as a result of examinations, audits, or internal testing
- Work with the business and Compliance colleagues to identify potential issues, trends and emerging risks
- 8+ years in a senior compliance role in the financial services industry
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Knowledge of and expertise with consumer protection rules and regulations, including those maintained and enforced by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and/or other U.S. federal and state consumer protection regulatory agencies
- Substantial experience with the risks and regulations applicable to consumer-facing financial services and products
- Experience engaging with, and representing organizations before, regulators, auditors, monitors business partners
- Familiarity with some of the controls and processes related to handling consumer issues in the financial services industry, including disputes and complaints, fraud prevention, consumer duty, and marketing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to summarize observations and present in a clear, concise manner to senior management
- Ability to quickly grasp and evaluate complex concepts, including global business and regulatory matters
- Proven expertise in delivering high quality work products, reflecting attention to detail and analytical prowess, in a fast pace and agile work environment
- Experience organizing, planning, and executing on key initiatives that deliver creative solutions to business, compliance, and technology-related challenges and objectives
- Experience developing and coaching team members to work collaboratively and execute with an enterprise mindset
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone C: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone D: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.