Senior Software Engineer, Banking
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Banking Core: As a software engineer on the Banking Core server engineering team, you will help drive the technical design, execution, and delivery of new banking products to make Cash App the best place to deposit your money by providing best-in-class banking utility, incentives & trust, through close collaboration across teams and disciplines. In addition, you'll help drive architectural decisions and infrastructure improvements to make our systems more robust and scalable. The products you build will create significant impact at scale and will fundamentally change the consumer banking landscape as we know it today.
Banking Money Management: Join Cash App's Money Management team and play a pivotal role in revolutionizing the world's relationship with money. We’re on a mission to transform the Cash App into the ultimate place for managing, saving, and growing money – creating the bank we wish we had and empowering our customers with the financial tools and knowledge to build generational wealth! As an engineer on the Money Management team, you'll be instrumental in creating innovative financial products that make a tangible difference in the lives of underbanked customers – breaking down barriers to financial inclusion through seamless access to savings accounts, building financial transparency, and driving healthy financial habits. You’ll collaborate with a talented team of professionals from Product, Design, Data Science, and more, as you shape our strategy, own impactful products, and define our development processes in a dynamic and mission-driven environment.
As a member of either team, you’ll:
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and business leads to scope, plan, design, and build new features as well as maintain existing functionality.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization and company.
- Work on impactful, multi-team projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Design systems to work within our microservice and event-driven architectures.
- Hold your teammates — and yourself — to high engineering standards.
- Leverage your experience and knowledge to support your teammates.
- Must be located within one of the following hubs and able to work at the office 1x/week: Toronto or Kitchener-Waterloo
- 4+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Experience leading and executing delivery projects on time while maintaining a high-quality bar
- Interest in understanding and debugging complex systems with many moving parts across multiple teams and cross-functional partners
- The drive to find flaws in a system and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Growth mindset and a healthy comfort with ambiguity along with empathy for the users of the products you create
- A passion for learning and sharing knowledge alongside teammates, with self-motivation and keen attention to detail
Technologies we use and teach (you don’t need to have experience using these):
- Java, Kotlin
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- OkHttp, Jetty, JUnit, Guice
- Hibernate, MySQL, DynamoDB
- Kafka, events, microservices
- DataDog, Prometheus
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.