Senior Staff Software Engineer, PubSub
- Alternate Location: Seattle, United States
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
The PubSub team ensures that Cash Cloud developers are able to use various asynchronous communication offerings for their cloud services. These offerings should be highly available, scalable, and provide a low-friction developer experience. The suite of tooling the PubSub team currently provides are Cash Eventing, Job Queues, kPow!, and Server Push (NATS). The PubSub team is also responsible for creating, upgrading, and maintaining the Infrastructure of their product offerings for teams. PubSub customers are product and platform engineers at Cash and Block.
We’re looking for an organizational leader to help push the boundaries of what PubSub can achieve. You’ll work directly with the team to innovate on our product offerings and lead the technical direction, as well as with Product Management to ensure we’re building the right solutions at scale for our customers.
- Design, build, and support infrastructure projects that provide critical support for tremendous processing requirements and distributed system pattern libraries to customers
- Dig into the many parts of a large platform using a wide variety of analytical tooling, and if necessary, add some new ones
- Use a data-driven approach to make the call on new infrastructure or product offerings that might need to be added, whether it’s off-the-shelf or built in-house
- Have autonomy to research and achieve outcomes with support when you need it
- Contribute to the growth of our development capabilities through leading, mentoring and supporting fellow engineers
- 10+ years of experience developing production software
- 3+ years of experience as tech lead or systems architect
- Advanced Degree in Computer Science or Equivalent experience in lieu of degree
- Experience overseeing customized development for multiple projects
- Experience envisioning a technical approach/solution, socialize it and align partners towards it
- Passion for mentoring and upleveling team members
- Experience balancing urgency to implement vs technically correct solution
Technologies we use and teach:
- Go, Kotlin
- AWS Services (SQS, MSK, ECR, more)
- Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform
- gRPC, Envoy, Istio, Service Mesh
- MySQL, Guice, Dynamo
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone B: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone C: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
Zone D: USD $245,100 - USD $299,500
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.