Technical Program Manager, Machine Learning Engineering
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
The Machine Learning Engineering (MLE) organization at Cash App is responsible for the production implementation of machine learning use cases throughout Cash App, as well as data and ML infrastructure to accelerate the work of our modelers and data scientists. Our team has grown rapidly, and we’re looking at expanding our Machine Learning Technical Program Management team (ML TPM) to help build bridges, create reusable frameworks, and align responsibilities and priorities between the MLE teams and their product and infrastructure team counterparts. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to gain exposure to many cutting-edge domains of ML and understand how machine learning is applied in a diverse set of financial contexts to redefine the world’s relationship with money.
Cash App has fully embraced remote work, and you’re free to work in-office, hybrid, or fully remote for this role - you choose whatever works best for you. This position reports to our Principal Group TPM.
- Develop and manage end-to-end technical project/program roadmaps in a partnership with ML TPM, MLE, Eng, DS, Product and Infrastructure teams to ensure on-time delivery that meets defined goals and requirements
- Work closely with MLE to facilitate collaborations, assemble and align stakeholders on each team, and resolve cross-functional dependencies
- Effectively communicate program plans, statuses, risks and mitigation plans to the stakeholders and broader team.
- Help to shape the prioritization and technical roadmap of our common MLE infrastructure
- Continuously contribute to operational excellence via reusable frameworks, tools, solutions to help the team to scale.
- A degree or related experience in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or another technical or scientific field. A graduate degree or hands-on ML experience is a big plus
- 4-5 years of experience managing industry-scale, cross-functional technical projects, including at least one project involving machine learning, artificial intelligence, data engineering, or a related discipline
- Strong sense of prioritization
- Concise and to the point communication
- Comfort in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Analytical thinking and problem solving
- High EQ: Ability to collaborate with and to influence product managers, engineering teams and key stakeholders from cross-functional teams and in other locations
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.