Quantitative Finance Manager
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
The Cash App Quantitative Finance Team is an intellectually diverse team of machine learning modelers, data scientists, former strategy consultants and data engineers focused on applying leading AI, graph analytics and machine learning algorithms to solve business problems for executives within Cash App and the broader Block organization.
Within the Quantitative Finance team, the Forecast Analytics Team is responsible for building and implementing a quantitative model-driven forecast using the Cash App inflows framework (https://youtu.be/MOzbShUy1j0?t=996). The outputs of these models are used for long-range planning, annual planning and marketing exercises. This group has significant exposure to all facets of Cash F&S, Cash Executive Management and marketing partners.
This position will challenge you across financial strategy, data analytics and AI/ML. The challenges in this role entail customer classification problems (churn, winback, product attach), money movements (inflows, outflows and switch flows) as well as the opportunity to learn about the exciting area of Network Science and how Cash Customers interact with each through P2P.
You will lead cross-functional teams across framework development, socialization, model development and ad-hoc analytics. Specifically, you will manage work streams, present to management, conduct data analysis, develop requirements and test the output of quantitative models.
Because this is such a unique role we are looking for someone who ideally possesses both the finance and strategy consulting toolkits.
- Conduct Analytics - Dive into the transaction, customer and 3rd party data to assess how our customers manage their funds
- Set the Agenda - Help develop the inflows taxonomy, assess the addressable market and define the teams book of work
- Plan Work Streams - Develop timelines, goals, worksteps and outputs for each planned phase
- Manage Teams - Manage the E2E model development process, across data set creation, application of business logic and assessment of results
- 4+ years of relevant professional experience, including strategic finance, data analytics, investment banking, consulting, or comparable experience
- Knowledge of SQL, R or Python a plus
- Experience in banking and or Fintech a plus
- Familiarly with statistical / ML modeling concepts and customer segmentation methodologies
- Understanding of how changes in the economic environment and monetary policy influence consumer spending and saving behaviors
- Intellectual curiosity, more than anything you must be driven by “doing cool things” and a mindset of continuous improvement
- Executive polish and the ability to communicate complex topics in a concise manner
Nice to have:
- BS in Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, or Physics.
Technologies we use and teach:
- SQL (MySQL, Snowflake, BigQuery, etc.)
- Python (Pandas, Numpy)
- Tableau, Airflow, Looker
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $152,100 - USD $185,900
Zone B: USD $141,500 - USD $172,900
Zone C: USD $133,800 - USD $163,600
Zone D: USD $121,700 - USD $148,700
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.