Senior Software Engineer, Boost Offers + Ads
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
The Cash App Boost Offers + Ads team is in charge of building and innovating on Cash App’s current Boost Ads Product, and future ads products. We see a powerful opportunity to create a flywheel where we connect Square, AfterPay, and Cash App’s rich networks of sellers and businesses to Cash App’s 53+ million active customers. This is a powerful connective tissue between Jack Dorsey’s Ecosystems being built within Block.
Our first product is the beloved Cash App Boost program that rewards consumers when they make purchases in our network of merchants using the wildly popular Cash Card and other payment methods. There are many challenging problems innovating and scaling this product out.
With the acquisition of AfterPay, our network, capabilities and opportunities expand, and the team is in charge of inventing the future of connecting sellers and buyers together. What products can we imagine that take advantage of our huge network of consumers? How do we take advantage of our local networks? How do we create ROI for merchants in ways that weren’t possible before?
This is an exciting and rare opportunity to join us as an early member of this team and lead v1s of various high growth + impactful projects. The team gets to work on technical challenges of building + scaling ads platforms, solving performance + latency, incorporating ML relevancy, connecting how the infrastructure meets customer/product goals, experimentation frameworks, and running experiments.
The contributions you make on this team will be used by millions of people in a wide variety of scenarios as we create the future of online and local commerce.
- Scope, build, and scale products, systems, and services that have an immediate impact on our millions of customers
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions
- Participate in all parts of product development, working with non-Engineering related disciplines (Product and Design) and adjacent Engineering teams (Mobile, Platform, Machine Learning, and Data Science)
- 3-8+ years of software development or equivalent experience
- Boundless curiosity, persistence and a desire to get things done
- Enthusiasm for multiple technical areas
- Experience building backend systems and working with FE/mobile teams
- Bachelor's Degree or Diploma in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- Ads, Rewards, Affiliate Networks and Card-Linked Offers (CLO) experience is a rare bonus!
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin
- MySQL, Dynamo, ElasticSearch
- gRPC and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- DataDog, Prometheus
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.