Director, Strategy & Communications
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As Afterpay’s business continues to scale, we are seeking a highly strategic leader to join our team as Director - Strategy & Communications APAC. This is a hybrid role supporting both the overarching Afterpay business as well as the Sales organisation, and focuses on strategic planning and execution, ensuring our trade performance metrics and business objectives are met, as well as driving our internal communications strategy across our Afterpay team.
Reporting to the EVP, Country Manager and Head of Sales APAC, you will lead a team of two and work in close partnership with the Afterpay leadership team and multiple functions - including sales, finance, analytics, marketing, risk and product teams - to identify, analyse, and interpret trade performance trends and implement optimisation strategies that protect and deliver on our regional strategy and annual plan. You will be responsible for providing regular global business updates and running performance meetings with senior stakeholders as well as ensuring the right information is cascaded out to our wider team.
The incumbent will also be responsible for driving internal communications strategies coupled with leading and implementing employee engagement initiatives to drive culture and innovation within the Afterpay Sales team.
This role represents a tremendous opportunity to influence strategic decision making with high visibility and engagement with the Afterpay leadership team. The successful candidate is a highly organized strategic thinker with strong analytical skills, with commercial and financial acumen who executes flawlessly and can handle multiple diverse projects simultaneously. You will possess outstanding thought leadership and stakeholder management, critical thinking, visual storytelling talents, ability to juggle multiple priorities, and will have a proven track record of excellence operating independently and within a team environment.
- Lead Trade across APAC - monitoring performance and working cross-functionally to analyze internal and external data to foresee and mitigate risks to annual plan and develop and implement strategies to exceed plan.
- Develop business planning and information structures and processes to enable broad visibility and proactive updates on ANZ Regional Strategy, APAC trade and annual plan performance, core priority status updates and upcoming initiatives.
- Develop a broad communication plan for the organisation. Identify, create and deliver communications in a clear and timely manner in the best channels and formats for the intended audience with a focus of bringing others along (e.g. employees and stakeholders);
- Identify opportunities to accelerate profitable growth for Afterpay leveraging our Block organisation, in particular with Square.
- Develop strategy and plan for team engagement; coordinate content for employee forums including leadership team review meetings, all hands, and employee forums.
- Maintain a cascading framework for strategic goal setting and OKRs that drives alignment across all teams and the broader Afterpay/Block organisation.
- Actively seek formal and informal feedback from employees to ensure maximum engagement and improve leadership effectiveness.
- Cultivate strong relationships and open lines of communication with stakeholders at all levels.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in payments, finance, consulting, retail or other professional services with a proven track record in using data to drive business decisions
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to keep teams on track while constantly re-evaluating priorities and urgency relative to company pivots and moving demands
- Proven ability to take complex concepts and translate it into clear communications for a variety of audiences, e.g. senior management, employees, etc.
- Exceptional stakeholder management, relationship building and listening skills; able to build rapport quickly and collaborate across geographies, business functions and levels; able to influence constructively
- Demonstrated success in taking projects from conception to execution and developing business and project plans that cut across the organisation and enable value-based prioritisation
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills. Able to build trust and form genuine relationships with a wide range of individuals quickly and enjoy supporting others to do what they do even better
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, with specific focus on leading meetings, presenting and developing written reports
- Strong commercial and operational acumen as well as critical problem solving skills
- Experience using data analytics to develop actionable insights to drive business outcomes
- Experience with Google Sheets, PowerPoint, Tableau, Thoughtspot and Salesforce.
- Understanding of payments industry or, experience within a payment facilitator, regulated payment or electronic money institution (preferable)
- People leadership experience and a Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field
Also Critical to your Success:
- Able to work in a very fast-paced ‘start up’ environment
- Remain calm under pressure and to be flexible when faced with changing priorities
- Able to deal with confidential information without exception
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and manage various requests with tight timelines
- Demonstrated ability to drive results, think strategically and globally
- Passion, energy, personal accountability and a passion for our business and brand
- Passion for creating and nurturing an inclusive team and work culture, where all team members feel seen, heard, and included.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.