Fullstack Software Engineer, Ruby
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Customers Marketing team builds tools to help Merchants grow their business. The tools allow Merchants to engage their customers via email, text and social media, which is done through a combination of Merchant created campaigns and a suite of data driven automations. This role is key to the success of the team, the person would be responsible for delivery of large product features, some spanning multiple teams.
- Work with other engineers, designers, and product managers to develop excellent product experiences.
- Oversee the entirety of your features; including component design, implementation, automated testing, and rollout.
- Assist in setting the architecture of our frontend systems to allow quick and stable feature development
- Hold yourself, and your teammates accountable to the standards of engineering that enables Square to safely move billions of dollars in payments and allow our customers to trust us with their sensitive data.
- 5+ years professional software development experience.
- Proficient in Ruby.
- Experience with ROI, to deliver remarkable solutions to our merchants.
- Experience in the different stages of product development. This can mean building code to iterate quickly, or building a sustainable system to support our product for years to come.
- Enthusiasm for the connection between the software you build and the experience it provides to customers
- Experience working with other teams, such as designers, product managers, data scientists, marketing, and business development to achieve a great product.
- Eager to work across the entire tech stack frontend and backend, Fullstack
Our engineers have all kinds of backgrounds and are encouraged to move freely across our technology stack. Languages and technologies we use and teach include:
- Technologies: Sass, HTML
- Frameworks: Ember.js, React, Rails, gRPC
- Infrastructure: MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kafka
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.