Engineering Manager - Customer Success Engineering
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Customer Success Engineering team builds products that help our internal Customer Success organization best serve merchants when they’re in need of help. The team is responsible for multiple aspects of the daily experience of our Customer Success Advocates - most notably working on a new system for the live chat experience. The team is also working on ways to leverage generative AI to both streamline the experience of advocates when finding answers to questions and helping increase the efficacy of those answers.
As the Engineering Manager for Customer Success Engineering, you will be responsible for driving initiatives from inception through execution. You will be engaged in a large, highly visible project and interfacing deeply with multiple teams within Square - both as stakeholders and as partners. This position will require strategic thinking, methodical execution, and superb stakeholder management. You’ll be working closely with partners in Product, Design, and peer engineering teams to create and refine experiences for use by and for Customer Success.
- Lead and participate in critical technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization.
- Support and collaborate with multiple stakeholders across the company including product, design, legal, accounting, support, and other engineering teams.
- Provide and improve visibility into the engineering team to the rest of the organization.
- Lead engineers on the team through coaching, mentorship, and advocacy - instilling a sense of urgency, ownership, and accountability.
- Foster an inclusive environment for your team and those around you to show up and give their best each day.
- Invest in long term opportunities and risks to ensure a solid platform for today and the future.
- Hire and grow your team by cultivating high standards and a cohesive group that is able to execute without distraction.
- Leadership experience: Experience building and leading teams of accomplished software engineers. A passion for mentoring engineers and teaching colleagues.
- Technical depth and maturity: Experience managing complex systems, with the pattern recognition to make high level architectural decisions but also the ability to weigh in on implementation questions.
- Execution rigor: Experience turning strategies and plans into reality, partnering with product and design to scope and prioritize work.
- Initiative: Ability to work autonomously to drive clarity in ambiguous situations.
- Customer empathy: Strong empathy for your customer and an interest in building products that better serve them.
- Curiosity and collaboration: Eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Diplomacy: Exceptional communication skills and experience balancing diverse priorities in a fair and transparent manner. Ability to navigate difficult conversations, both on your team and with stakeholder teams.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Rails, React, Redux
- MySQL/Aurora, Kubernetes
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $222,800 - USD $272,300
Zone B: USD $211,600 - USD $258,600
Zone C: USD $200,500 - USD $245,100
Zone D: USD $189,400 - USD $231,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.