Senior Software Engineer - Identity and Access Management, Health
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Cash App has grown rapidly to 70+ million users moving billions of dollars daily. To support this, we are building out Health — a new Platform organization responsible for product experiences aimed at promoting the health of the increasingly complex Cash App ecosystem. Health works to improve Cash App access for our customers, while limiting access for bad or unauthorized users by detecting and preventing improper use across all of our core product areas. The teams under Health creating these mission critical services and products include Identity, Access, Risk Controls and Support Automation.
We appreciate broad perspectives, a willingness to dive deep, and a readiness to work collaboratively across many disciplines (including product, design, operations, legal, data science, ML).
About Account Security
The Account Security team within Access handles all things authentication, authorization, and device management at Cash. We ensure that our millions of customers can access Cash App safely and reliably while minimizing barriers to entry to the financial system. In addition to refining the core authentication customer experience, we support Cash App’s expansion into new use cases and markets with reliable, well-designed access control primitives that empower engineering teams across the company.
The Account Security team is also responsible for identifying fraudulent activities and bot attacks to mitigate hacking and prevent account compromise. The team builds tools to collect fraudulent signals, detect fraud patterns, and automatically mitigate attacks.
As a Software Engineer on Health Access - Account Security, you will:
- Design, build, and operate the APIs and services that power Cash authentication and authorization
- Contribute to the safety of our customers by ensuring meaningful control over account security
- Develop novel solutions to detect fraudulent activities and mitigate large-scale attacks
- Evolve our architecture to scale with growth in customers and developers, working across large monolith codebases and microservices
- Collaborate with product management and design to develop new, high-impact experiences
- Build incrementally, test everything, and deploy daily
- Work on the live support rotation to keep our systems running well
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience building and operating quality software
- Demonstrated technical proficiency on previous projects
- Growth mindset and a healthy comfort with ambiguity
- Strong communication skills and customer empathy
- Experience with or interest in product security and authN/authZ standards
- Experience working in large codebases and breaking apart monoliths
- Experience working in a distributed team
- Experience with fraud detection and leveraging various risk signals, such as IP reputation, email age
- Experience with building automated mitigation tools, such as rate limiting, captcha
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin, Golang
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, Hibernate, DynamoDB
- Kafka and event-driven architecture
- DataDog, Prometheus
- AWS, Kubernetes
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.