Senior Machine Learning Engineer (Modeling), Measurement
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Measurement Machine Learning teams within Decision Science - Seller Experience are instrumental in the development of cutting-edge ML models and algorithms, providing invaluable insights for guiding strategic investment decisions. Our scope includes delivering a range of comprehensive company-wide metrics at both merchant and product levels, including NPA (New Profit Added) and LTV (Lifetime Value). We empower a diverse array of stakeholders, spanning marketing, finance, product management, account administration, and risk assessment. Additionally, we are dedicated to crafting exceptional data infrastructure and innovative solutions in the realms of data science and machine learning.
We are looking for a Senior Machine Learning Engineer (Modeling) with deep expertise in measurement (just like you!) to join our efforts in further expanding Square’s measurement system.
- Develop and implement a state-of-the-art data driven measurement system using statistical and machine learning techniques, models and algorithms to fuel Square’s growth
- Collaborate with Data Engineers to ensure data quality and consistency in data pipelines, and that the system can handle large volumes of data
- Work with Data Scientists to design experiments and develop metrics to evaluate the performance of measurement models
- Monitor model accuracy over time and continually improve it by evaluating and incorporating new data as appropriate
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements and trends in machine learning and data science and apply them to evolve the measurement system
- 4+ years of data science and ML experience with technical depth
- Experience developing complex and long-term customer value models (e.g., LTV)
- Experience in building, deploying, maintaining and sunsetting large-scale machine learning models and systems in production environments
- Experience with machine learning algorithms and frameworks such as TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch, Scikit-Learn, Knowledge of cloud computing platforms such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
- Experience working with senior stakeholders in areas such as Finance, Marketing, Risk and strong communication skills and ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $167,300 - USD $204,500
Zone B: USD $158,900 - USD $194,300
Zone C: USD $150,600 - USD $184,000
Zone D: USD $142,200 - USD $173,800
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.