Banking Fraud Insights Lead (Deposits)
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic ecosystem, developing unique financial products, including Afterpay/Clearpay, to provide a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our 47 million monthly active customers. We want to redefine the world’s relationship with money to make it more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward innovation, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers.
Leading a core function in our specialized Behavioral Insights Team (BIT), you will lead a team to gather, assess, explore and scrutinize patterns, data and signals to identify and mitigate high-risk / fraudulent activity across our platform. We need an experienced leader to support and drive our investigations and analytics effort that is the core of BIT. The team is responsible for the most complex processes, pattern recognition and analytical work in the Health (Risk/Fraud) organization.
As the BIT Lead, you will leverage your deep fraud and risk understanding skills to drive efficiency and effectiveness. You will partner every day with the BIT (Risk/Fraud) Analysts and Data Science teams to build better Machine Learning (ML) models and protect customers and the Cash platform, brand and reputation. You will also partner with many organizations across the business, like product, engineering, finance, compliance and operations to understand potential areas of abuse or fraudulent behaviors and investigate them. In this role, you will drive innovation and influence Cash App’s global risk roadmap, programs, and processes. Simultaneously, you will lead, coach, mentor and develop team members to define and achieve high performance bars individually and collectively, and foster their professional development and enable them to contribute more and more to our business.
The ideal candidate possesses exceptional deep analytical and investigative skills, a proven mastery of broad effective communication with cross-functional partners and strong problem-solving capabilities. This role requires a bias toward taking action in a fast-paced environment and deep experience with risk and fraud vectors with a specific focus across banking functions, and other key financial services functions. Our ideal candidate also understands the role of ML models and their continued validation and improvement in managing risk at scale and has worked with Data Science teams in the past. Prior experience managing a team of high performing individuals in a fast-paced environment is required.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Using deep analytical talent, identify areas of opportunity within the ecosystem to apply financial management and fraud prevention best practices
- Build the investigations framework to support frequent model iteration and validation efforts and communicate feedback to cross-functional business partners
- Diagnose problems, recognize known and emerging fraud and abuse patterns and develop compelling, data-driven recommendations and monitor results
- Deep dive into and resolve fraud issues that require a high level of attention to detail that include financial costs and articulation of trade-offs and false positive risks
- Showcase strong time-management skills to maintain or exceed expected daily workloads, lead the team by example.
- Provide ongoing improvements to investigation approaches and development of fraud detection systems to identify emerging inauthentic activity trends and provide recommendations to assist in loss mitigation
- Collaborate on and escalate complex cases and new trends within the team, backed by industry knowledge of common financial services fraud vectors and risk controls
- Identify, document, and follow-up with team members on product bugs and feature enhancements
- Be a voice of the customer by identifying trends, issues, and suggesting improvements to processes, policies, and products including recommending tooling and data improvements to increase investigations efficacy
- Foster a culture of accountability, collaboration, speed, innovation, excellence, and a fun work environment while continuously elevating the quality and caliber of our controls
- Build and execute on short-term and long-term plans with associated benefits of strategies that are developed to reduce financial exposure associated with identified high-risk activity
- Lead and develop a team of 5-8 individuals
- Partner with HR, Talent, and Recruiting on sourcing candidates as well as administration of HR Policies/Procedures
- Recognize and Reward Talent; ensure accountability at all levels within the team roles
- Manage individual performance and provide ongoing insight and coaching
- Assist with professional development and upstream, preventative, future-proof thinking
- Demonstrated depth of knowledge in the realm of financial services.
- Previous experience identifying opportunities to update, revise or implement rules and/or controls to mitigate fraud/inauthentic activity.
- Prior leadership experience managing a team of high performing fraud analysts, including coaching and development
- Ability to prepare and present findings to multiple levels within the leadership hierarchy
- Show strong ability to conceptualize, develop, and implement process improvements around investigatory workflows and approaches
- Demonstrate flexibility to adapt and able to manage multiple assignments while working independently
- The ability to answer unstructured business questions and work independently to drive projects and analytical tasks to conclusion
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including root cause analysis / identification
- Familiarity with SQL or with leading a team versed in SQL
- Experience with utilizing visualizations (e.g. Tableau, Looker) either directly or through leading a team responsible for such visualizations
- Experience using statistical approaches to solving business problems
- Flexibility to lead individuals in different time zones and work with teams in multiple time zones
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Experience: Prior risk/fraud leadership or risk/fraud mentoring related role required
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $125,600 - USD $153,600
Zone B: USD $116,800 - USD $142,800
Zone C: USD $110,500 - USD $135,100
Zone D: USD $100,500 - USD $122,900
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.