Accountant, Afterpay (Australia)
Block is one company built from many blocks, all united by the same purpose of economic empowerment. The blocks that form our foundational teams — People, Finance, Counsel, Hardware, Information Security, Platform Infrastructure Engineering, and more — provide support and guidance at the corporate level. They work across business groups and around the globe, spanning time zones and disciplines to develop inclusive People policies, forecast finances, give legal counsel, safeguard systems, nurture new initiatives, and more. Every challenge creates possibilities, and we need different perspectives to see them all. Bring yours to Block.
This role is an individual contributor and hybrid remote role, with a mix of working both in the Melbourne office location and working remotely.
This role requires being based in Australia - mix of going into the Melbourne office and work from home.
- Accountable for preparing and driving efficiencies in Revenue and Cost of Sales (COGS) with a specific focus on supporting COGS transactions.
- Accountable for ensuring month, quarter, and year-end accuracy of Revenue & COGS numbers.
- Responsible for driving the integration of accounting processes within the Oracle system, or where applicable.
- Responsible for working with other regions to develop a Global Process owner model for areas of responsibility
- Responsible for providing direction in the design, building (with data analytics assistance), and generating revenue & COGS month-end reports.
- Responsible for assisting with scoping and adherence to controls and processes related to the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Act, specifically pertaining to Revenue & COGS.
- Facilitate training sessions to educate team members on Revenue & COGS processes and promote adherence to established procedures.
- Conduct monthly, quarterly, and year-end flux analytics review to identify trends and variations.
- Prepare status packs and communicate Revenue & COGS- related information, including trends analysis as well as project status updates on Revenue & COGS initiatives.
- Assist in facilitating training sessions on areas of responsibility.
- Ensure comprehensive and up-to-date end-to-end process documentation for areas of responsibility related to Revenue & COGS.
Systems, process and policy leadership:
- Ensure that key policies are defined, communicated and understood by accounting teams;
- Ensure compliance across group and regional teams
Client and stakeholder leadership:
- Build and manage relationships with key internal stakeholders
- Demonstrate effective peer, direct report and team management skills
- 3+ years experience working in multinational, SOX reporting, in fast paced and energetic environments
- Exceptionally strong financial reporting and analytical skills
- CA or CPA qualified
- Strong communicator and an ability to communicate across all levels of the business, and remote international teams.
- Strive to continually improve, including making changes to internal accounting processes and controls.
- Ability to time manage and problem solve effectively in a high-pressure environment, consistently meeting tight deadlines.
- Focus on exceptional customer service ensuring all stakeholder needs are exceeded
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.