Policy Partnerships Lead, TBD
- Alternate Location: Washington D.C., United States
Founded in July 2021, TBD is one of Block's four business units, alongside Square, Cash App, and Tidal. At TBD, we believe in a decentralized future that returns ownership and control over your finances, data, and identity. Guided by this vision, TBD is building an open source platform and developer infrastructure that enables everyone to access and participate in the global economy.
TBD is inviting the world to join us in building and adopting open and decentralized technologies that solve real problems for real people — from next generation infrastructure that lowers the cost of global payments and enables frictionless commerce, to decentralized identity technologies that enable anyone to access and participate in the global economy. Our mission advances economic empowerment through the power of decentralized solutions, built open source and collaboratively.
The offerings we build will provide developers, institutions, and individuals with the capabilities needed to build the next wave of innovative apps and services, and access this decentralized future. We’re leveraging bitcoin and other decentralized technologies to reinvent the global financial system in an open and permissionless way to further Block’s mission of economic empowerment, with a global focus.
We are looking for a Policy Partnerships Lead to coordinate TBD’s digital identity work with governments, standards bodies, and third-party partners. You are familiar with decentralized platforms, bring relevant experience in standards and public policy issues in the digital identity space, and have experience engaging with policymakers, standards organizations, and civil society organizations. You will manage complex and technical policy matters, spot challenges and opportunity, work collaboratively across the organization to guide outcomes, and advocate on behalf of issues at the intersection of financial services and technology.
You will collaborate with TBD colleagues in compliance, legal, products, and partnerships, and with Block’s larger Global Policy team. You will report to TBD’s Head of Policy.
- Develop and deepen expertise in digital identity, “self-sovereign identity” and related standards for Decentralized Identifiers and Verifiable Credentials.
- Develop government partnerships with municipalities and states on digital identity and credentials in partnership with our state and local policy team.
- Organize TBD/Block participation in standards bodies important to the development of open identity protocols and government adoption of digital credentials.
- Develop partnerships with important third-party partners (privacy groups, technology coalitions, open source advocates) who are important players in policy discussions around DIDs, VCs, and other areas of importance to TBD.
- Support the Head of TBD Policy in other important work, including building strategic plans and creating legislative and regulatory priorities and advocacy plans for engaging on TBD policy priorities.
- 5+ years of experience in U.S. policy work, with a preference for experience in government, financial services, and technology sectors.
- Experience in digital identity.
- Experience navigating complex and technical policy issues.
- Experience developing policy proposals, regulatory comment, and strategies to create outcomes.
- Experience working collaboratively across internal departments.
- A knack for explaining complicated issues and policy positions to any audience.
- Experience working in dynamic environments.
- Impeccable ethics.
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $138,200 - USD $169,000
Zone B: USD $128,500 - USD $157,100
Zone C: USD $121,700 - USD $148,700
Zone D: USD $110,600 - USD $135,200
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.