Senior Software Engineer, International
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
As a Backend Software Engineer in the International Domain you’ll be responsible for ensuring Merchants and Consumers get the Afterpay experienceᵀᴹ globally.
The team’s focus is Cross Border Trade. It’s an exciting space that covers consumers as well as merchants from different geographies, cultures, and hence commerce behavior whether that’s shopping or selling. The cross-border team lives in this space creating experiences to further the vision of Afterpay being the global platform of choice where anyone can truly shop or sell anywhere.
This is a perfect opportunity for a Backend Software Engineer that enjoys working in a global team, including product and data science, creating new experiences for consumers, major retailers and businesses alike!
What You’ll Be Doing
- Engage in critical technical design and product discussions
- Take ownership of features and functions from inception to rollout, launch, scaling, and iteration
- Promote and apply agile practices in software delivery
- Collaborate in cross-functional product teams focused on discovery, delivery, and validation of product features via microservices, APIs, and web apps
- Follow development principles set by Staff Engineers and Engineering Managers
- Conduct and participate in peer reviews of design decisions, code, automated tests, and documentation
- Contribute to the evolving design and architecture of core platforms and services
- 5+ years of relevant software engineering experience
- Demonstrable track record of building scalable, performant, and resilient systems/software
- Proficiency in Kotlin and Java preferred
- Experience mentoring and coaching junior developers
- Strong understanding of full-stack engineering principles encouraged
- Solid grasp of software engineering best practices, including writing testable, maintainable code, and familiarity with CI/CD processes
- Experience working in an agile, cloud-based environment (familiarity with AWS is a plus)
- Proficiency with integration technologies (e.g., Microservices, RESTful APIs, gRPC, Event-Driven architecture)
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and methodologies
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.