Senior Software Engineer, Business Identities
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Square provides financial services to sellers. To do so requires understanding fundamental, verifiable details about sellers’ identities. It is impossible to build a payments and banking platform without having a firm grasp of who the participants in a transaction are and enabling features based on that. Identity is key to managing fraud, risk, and compliance. It's essential to providing low-cost payments, personalized banking services, and magical customer experiences.
The Business Identities (BID) team is part of Square’s Trusted Identity platform, which comprises the systems and services we use to onboard sellers to Square to take payments and use other financial services. The BID team owns the backend systems that represent and validate the information we gather about individuals and sellers who sign up to be Square sellers - a critical step in our ability to offer financial services to customers across the globe.
The BID team is hiring a Senior Software Engineer to lead its effort to build Square’s next-generation system for storing, verifying, and updating the legal information that we gather from our sellers when they onboard to start taking payments with Square. We work with some of our sellers’ most sensitive data, and we take privacy and security seriously. As a Senior Software Engineer on the BID team, you will build scalable and secure solutions to store and verify sellers’ identity information and help them gain access to the global financial system. The contributions you make on this team will be used by millions of people globally.
As a member of the BID team, you will:
- Design, build, and support the core systems used to manage identity at Square
- Convert existing monoliths into microservices
- Help lead the design of our next-generation identity platform
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- Leverage industry-leading identify verification technologies
- Be involved in defining and implementing an expanding roadmap
- Mentor junior engineers and help them grow in their technical and career skills
- BA/BS in computer science or equivalent experience
- 6+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- Well-developed curiosity and enjoy building creative solutions to complex problems
- Worked on systems where data consistency and availability is required
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Expertise in the full software development life cycle
Technologies we use and teach:
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and protocol buffers
- DynamoDB and other Amazon web services
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.