Senior Product Manager, Identity
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
Our Customer Identity and Access Management (CIAM) team creates remarkable products and experiences for our sellers, developers, buyers and more. We’re responsible for creating a shared platform for user accounts, access management, and policy enforcement. Growing Upmarket is a critical priority for Square, and this is a pivotal role to enable us to succeed. The team is responsible for foundational data models, APIs, intuitive UX for a variety of actors to set up and manage their accounts within Square and tooling to enable internal stakeholders to support our sellers better. This includes ownership of standards-based authentication flows and session management across the Square ecosystem for all platforms (iOS, Android and web).
As a Product Manager for the CIAM team, you will be responsible for driving initiatives from inception through execution. You’ll look ahead to anticipate the needs of sellers and build to meet us there. You will work with other Square product teams and third-party partners to identify opportunities to consolidate and improve capabilities to help all our teams go faster. You will collaborate with peer product managers, engineers, data scientists, designers, sales, marketing, compliance, counsel and other cross-functional team members to ensure that our platform can support products that amaze and delight sellers.
You'll work with engineering on first-class Identity and Access Management tools, solve new challenges Square teams face as our ecosystem of products grows, and ensure our services scale and are available. You will report to the Head of Product for CIAM and work with product managers in our Seller organization.
- Gather and use feedback and insights from sellers and developers across multiple markets to improve your product experience and business performance
- Work with engineering, design and data science to foster team dynamics
- Lead product strategy, planning, scoping, and prioritization of projects to achieve all of our goals. You will outline entire roadmaps and project requirements, goals, and constraints.
- Represent the team with partners and senior company leaders to align resources and prioritization.
- Guide the creation of reusable platform and product solutions that are delightful, scalable and remarkable
- Determine features, write product and technical specs, organize user studies, help write test plans, manage the backlog.
- Report to the CIAM product lead
- Natural leadership instincts with proven ability to innovate
- 8+ years of product management experience
- Prior experience working on a platform team or in a role where you were responsible for the success of a larger ecosystem of products, ideally in the identity space, including demonstrated knowledge of best practices and industry - standards for SSO, MFA, OIDC, etc.
- Excellent prioritization and stakeholder management skills
- Proven record of shipping high-quality products at scale
- Excellent organization skills
- An analytical and metrics driven work style
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfort in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Passion for Square and new technology
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Passion for helping teams protect the assets in Square's ecosystem
- Proven ability to provide direction and rally a team on the highest priority problem to solve
- Track record of advocating for collaborative solutions with a diverse group of partners
- Writing skills that showcase brevity and clarity
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.