Catalog Front-End Technical Lead
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, offer buy now, pay later functionality through Afterpay, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
We are seeking a senior front-end engineer to be the FE Technical Lead across the Catalog organization, which includes three mission-oriented squads that contribute to FE features. This role is squarely at the intersection of platform and product.
The Catalog is core to both the seller experience and Square’s platform strategy. Sellers interface with the Catalog through both web and mobile experiences, where they manage all of the items they sell. We are embarking on a major revamp of the Catalog that tailors an individual seller’s experience to the needs of their business and simplifies merchandising across multiple channels. In parallel, we want to be strategic about evolving our FE codebase under the hood. As one example, the codebase was originally built in Ember — as part of this effort, we’d like to begin the process of migrating to React and other modern FE technologies. We need an experienced FE leader to forge the path for our team.
- Own the overall FE (web) strategy across all of Catalog and influence the broader FE technical strategy across Square
- Author an achievable plan to deliver the FE strategy
- Drive accelerating Catalog FE development and increasing developer happiness through both direct code contributions and defining the architecture
- Forge a strong horizontal connection between FE developers across three Catalog squads
- Be the primary technical representative for FE Catalog to non-OC teams we partner and collaborate with
- Partner closely with Catalog Product and Design leadership to help drive work in flight, planning, and the direction for FE+UX improvements on the team
- Mentor FE engineers across Catalog, with a special focus on growing and empowering FE leaders
- Be technically accountable for all FE development across Catalog, engaging through design reviews, code reviews, and meetings with engineers
- Establish patterns for evolving the FE infrastructure that extend beyond Catalog, across the Omnichannel organization, and in some cases broader Square
- Consult on client syncing architecture that in some cases may apply to mobile clients in addition to web
- 10+ years of software engineering experience, with 6+ years FE web focused
- 4+ years in a technical leadership role
- Collaborated with product managers and designers in defining product / technical strategy
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience and/or interest working in a team with a healthy balance of platform and product ownership
- You have led a successful migration from a older FE framework to a new one
- Experience in both React and Ember
- Experience working in the commerce space
Block takes a market-based approach to pay, and pay may vary depending on your location. U.S. locations are categorized into one of four zones based on a cost of labor index for that geographic area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
Zone A: USD $202,500 - USD $247,500
Zone B: USD $192,400 - USD $235,200
Zone C: USD $182,300 - USD $222,800
Zone D: USD $172,200 - USD $210,400
To find a location’s zone designation, please refer to this resource. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Full-time employee benefits include the following:
- Healthcare coverage (Medical, Vision and Dental insurance)
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Plans including company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness programs, including access to mental health, 1:1 financial planners, and a monthly wellness allowance
- Paid parental and caregiving leave
- Paid time off (including 12 paid holidays)
- Paid sick leave (1 hour per 26 hours worked (max 80 hours per calendar year to the extent legally permissible) for non-exempt employees and covered by our Flexible Time Off policy for exempt employees)
- Learning and Development resources
- Paid Life insurance, AD&D, and disability benefits
- Additional Perks such as WFH reimbursements and free access to caregiving, legal, and discounted resources
These benefits are further detailed in Block's policies. This role is also eligible to participate in Block's equity plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies, and may be eligible for a sign-on bonus. Sales roles may be eligible to participate in a commission plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies. Pay and benefits are subject to change at any time, consistent with the terms of any applicable compensation or benefit plans.
US and Canada EEOC Statement
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.